TS-808, wise investment?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TornadoOfSouls, Apr 18, 2008.

1. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Howdy folks.

I hit up the local guitar store today and decided I want to get a tube screamer to boost my rhythm channel for solos. (CAE +3 SE/I use the lead channel for my rhythms & now a boosted rhythm for my leads)

Did I make a wise choice on the TS-808 over the TS-9?

I was able to try both on a rather bad combo tube amp and the TS-9 generally sounded a little bit darker while the TS-808 had more presence and brightness which I love in my tone.

Just wondering what the general public has to say about it. :horse

ETA: I haven't tried it yet, I've gotta go out to where I practice so I haven't been able to give it a run with my gear yet.

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

While I don't have a TS808 currently; I have owned about 4 and I've also owned about 4 of the TS9's. Some were modded and some were stock. I personally prefer the 808 over the 9 because it's a little warmer and woodier sounding to me and I'm thinking about picking up another stock 808 that hasn't had all the midrange modded out. Sometimes I like a nice midrangy tone.

vtg

3. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

Isn't the new TS808 RI was just the same guts as a 90s TS9 but in a different box? (Genuine question, not trying to start a holy war--anyone know the scoop?)

4. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Awesome, I'm not sure if I want to modify mine especially since you say it takes out the mids. I'm overly obsessed with mids. :cool:

I might try it on my clean channel to hear that warmer woodier sound, but I was playing it over gain and I generally just noticed the brightness.

5. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

I went and popped my rig on anyway, I was too excited to hear what it sounded like.

I LOVE IT!

It adds some awesome overdrive, mids and presence to my overall tone, and will work perfectly in cutting through rhythms.

Very happy I got the TS-808.

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I don't know all the specifics, but the 808 has the correct 808 chip while the 9 doesn't, plus a couple other differences, but from what I've read, the 808 still isn't quite like the old ones-still has to be modded for that. What do I know though, I use a Maxon.

7. fishlog

fishlog Member

Its funny but I am having the same dielema. I bought a TS-808 Then a TS-9 I am keeping the TS-9 even though the TS-808 had the sound I am looking for kind of. Reason I am keeping the TS-9 is I am having it modded by Keeley and then it will sound like the TS-808 but clear with better bass response. But the big plus is I figure to save Cash! Originally I was going to just have the TS-808 Mod done by Keeley but when I found out the Keeley Mod made them literally the same (Both Modded I am talking) The TS-9 for cheaper! it was a no brainer. Hope that made sense

8. fizbin

fizbin Member

The TS9/808 modds are well-documented. If you can wield a soldering iron and are not afraid, go for it on a stock TS9.

Adding true bypass to a TS9 is a bit more of a hassle though than just the PCB mods.

9. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I don't think it totally removes the mids but kinda refocuses them in some kind of unique way that sounds better. Either way, they are good pedals!
    vtg

10. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

I'd bet 10 to 1 that a TS-808 and TS-9 are indistinguishable in a blind test.

11. 205

205 Senior Member

gotta agree with you there.

12. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

I don't know, I have a really bad ear but I A/B tested them side by side and there is a difference between both pedals.