Ts 808 with rivera quiana?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stratneck, Oct 17, 2005.

1. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

HI! i am new to the board
    Has anyone compare the Ninja boost the comes whith the Rivera Quiana to a tube screamer or a pedal alike?I would appreciate your imputs
    Stratneck:)

2. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's a very clean boost, not that much like a tube screamer. It basically gives the clean channel more volume.

Now it's not actually as simple as that. If you are new to Riveras, then you want to try dialing the clean channel with the Ninja Boost engaged as well as without. You will see there is a difference in the breakup as well as volume.

Another thing you will probably decide that the volume boost amount of the Ninja Boost is too much. And for the volumes that most people play at, it is. But if you crank the amp, then because of compression, the Ninja Boost is pretty much right on the money. The most common mod people get for Riveras is to install a pot that controls the Boost level.

Now the Quiana takes pedals well. There was a guy on the old Rivera users forum that said he played nu-metal with a Quiana and some nasty pedal that I forget at the moment. I don't know I would go that far, but Quiana does do pedals.

In some sense, if you want distortion from a Rivera, you go to the other channel - Channel 1 is the "British" (un-American?) channel. The gain boost there is more like distortion.

There is another trick with Riveras that can affect distortion. Jump the effects loop with a patch cord and dial the send and return knobs to taste. Riveras are typically quiet enough that you don't raise noise issues this way.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I agree with the toaster (the last time I did that, my wife tried to have me committed!).

I've had a few Riveras, and my old K-55 is still my favorite amp. I did have a Fandango 55 that was ordered with 6L6 power tubes and I have to believe that's more or less the same as the Quiana. As the previous poster said, the Ninja boost is not TS like at all. It is definitely more along the lines of a non-adjustable clean boost. If you set the amp clean, the boost is too much, but if you turn up the volume, it's OK. I actually prefer the sound of the amp with it on and just always leave it engaged for that channel. THEN you throw a TS type pedal on top of THAT. WHOO BOY!!

4. stratneck

Riverastoster thank you for your imput about the Ninja pedal and ts808...
    I think what i am looking for ,is that power tubes distortion.
    Also,the volume pot mod and the patch cable on the effects loops sounds very interesting. Could i get more details on this?..
    Thank you
    Stratneck.:confused:

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have owned numerous riveras, r30s, chubsters, rake head, fandango 2x12, etc..

right now I have an R30 that just last night I mounted it in an oversized 2x12 cab with a slot like a THD on the rear, head mounted ala Marshall Bluesbraker style..

sounds amazing, old cranked plexi tones at reasonable volumes
    getting 30 w out of the El34 power tubes enables me to get them working a bit more, and it sounds better, more solid in the lowend than the 50w set at 1/2 power

I have had Soldanos, mesas, VHTs, racks, etc.. and this is hands down the best tone I have ever had, very alive, warm, punchy, dynamic....

one thing on Riveras I have found, I always run the boost engaged at all times on Ch 1, max the gain and dial eq to taste for fat singing solos and roll back the guitar vol for chunky rhtyhms

they sound sort of flat with out the boost on and and then with it on it adds too much topend sizzle.. so, I never run without it, always on..

I want to try to back off the amp gain a bit and use an RC boost for solos, just to push the front end of the amp a bit

I know you asked about the clean channel, but thought I would share my experiences as well

if you want just a clean pure boost to the power section, a cheap DOD BiFet preamp does a great job in the FX loop, I had one setup with a remote switch jack and had it in rack mounted Rake head setup I used to have. I could engage it for a bit more volume for solos..

6. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

don't know if this helps but...

I used to own a quiana 4x10 combo and it absolute screamed with the fulltone fulldrive. Its like the two were a match made in heaven.. Singing sustain bluesy overdrive for days... a great match for a strat and 4x10 speakers

The ninja boost was too harsh for my liking. I could dial it as a slight smokey breakup with certain humbucker guitars... but overall it was too harsh and too unforgiving to be useable. Certainly there are players out there that can get a good sound from the ninja but I sure as hell couldn't

However, the Fulldrive was freakin' awesome

7. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

yeah you are spot-on

the ninja is more like a clean boost

and the quiana takes pedals very well

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

If you want power tube distortion then you could consider a HotPlate for one thing. Then you can open the power section up and keep the volume the same. Note that this isn't quite going to sound like a tubescreamer - I think it sounds rounder and richer.

Also, the patch cord in the effects loop is a trick to try. Just take a patch cord (like a short instrument cord - or one that goes between pedalboard effects, etc.) and connect the effects send to the effects return. The Quiana I believe has level controls right there for the send and return level.

9. stratneck

CCOKER,DINRODEF andRIVERASTOASTERS ,I want to thank you for your imputs.I guess what i am looking for, is that breackup the Clapton gets from his Cornell or close to it?
    since i am a only at home player,blues and a little jazz are my venue [for now] only been learning for the past 6 months.SO, i think the hot plate could help,and i'll check the fulldrive.

Thank you all Stratneck::AOK

10. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

cool man, good luck

11. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I used a hotplate with my Fandango 55 2x12
    It helped tame the beast but honestly I am getting a better tone with the R30 setup 2x12 with two Goveners

12. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That "re-boxed" R30 sounds very interesting. My brother in law has an R30 and I think it is a very overlooked amp. It sounds wonderful.

I am also with you on running channel 1 with the gain maxed. However, I do find channel 1 without the boost on to be useful sometimes. It all depends on the room and the tone of the other players I am with though, as sometimes it is too dull to cut.

Terry

13. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That is my experience as well. The Fulldrive sounds great with my 1x12 Quiana as well as the 212 Quiana I used to have. There is definitely a synergy there.

Tery

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah me too. I had an R30 and the main thing I didn't think was working for it was the little cab. That R30 I traded for my first Jake, and we all know what happened after that.

On the other hand, the Chubster '40 is pretty close to a reboxed R30, isn't it? A slight bit more power and a couple extra features.

15. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

yeah, the r30 running through a real cab sounds huge

I have gone round and round with this stuff
    my first Rivera was a Rake non reverb head

loved it, sold it, bought another one, got an R30 because I wasn't playing out anymore, replaced the speaker, wanted something a bit "more" sold it, got a Chubster 40, wanted more, thought about converting it into a 2x12, did the math, sold it, bought the Fandango 55 2x12 used. Sounded like the ultimate Rivera, more gain, focus and long spring verb, vintage/modern, etc.. etc..

but I found it really needs to be played loud to sound good, got a hotplate.. needed cash, sold the whole thing and started looking at small combos again, played everything I could get my hands on in Austin. Remembered a friend had an R30 who moved, knew he didn't really play it and was tight on cash so I bouught it for 400. change preamp tubes, new speaker, built an oversized 1x12 cab, but it wasn't quite right, then got a new cab from a local shop that makes it own amps, 2 speakers.. trying different ones, etc...

tried an AC and an RC boost to be able to use for a lead boost and be able to back off the preamp gain a bit, got the AC boost and really like it

the saga never ends!

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It seems to come up again and again. Guys who love Riveras and the rest of the world looks at us cockeyed.

Now I'm here trying to remember what the R30 sounded like. The last time I played it was A/B with what became my Jake and it was no contest. That was nine years ago.

17. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I don't think most guys give them the credit they deserve or really try them and set them up right

I think most guys try the gain channel with the boost off and it's sort of ununspiring... then they kick in the boost for solos and it's too much difference....

I had my rake head and a friend had a Bogner Ectasy head, we did back to back comparisons and we was going "and you paid how much for that head? "oh, less than 1/2 of what you did"

setup similiarily gain and tone wise they were virtually undestinguishable

back to the R30 / Rake thing,
    Like you, I tried both and it was a hands down thing
    I got rid of my modded Soldano HR50 head (NOS Tubes, lowend boost mod, topend cut mod) after 5 minutes of playing the Rake

they sound very, very similiar
    the Jake/Rake has a bit more gain...

the rest is really in the cabs/speakers

I mean, there is a bit of difference tonally but not much

18. stratneck

Hey guys! I forgot to mention, I did installed aTONETUBBY on my
    Quiana 112. wish i had 212 and i'll explain why.
    the hemp cone,sounds perfect [ to me] the vintage 30, was too grainy . But, [now is installed on a jcm900] when slaved the marshall, with the rivera, the combo of alnico and ceramic is awsome!!!.In fact, it blows my vintage super reverb away.On a another note, I like to change tubes o lot and dialed in my english or american sounds a la carte::cool:
    Stratneck