TS-9 vs. TS-808

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gravelrocks, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Gravelrocks

Gravelrocks Member

Is there any difference in tone between an Ibanez TS-9 that has been modded by Analogman, and a TS-808 that is bought directly from Analogman? Or are they the same pedal?

2. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

In all honesty, I can't tell too much of a difference between a TS9, TS808 or TS7. But on these forums they're worlds apart.

3. in_sherman

in_sherman Member

his modifications do result in a sound change generally regarded as for the better. he made my bd-2 into a nice useable pedal. i think ts-9 and 808 sound really similar just different output section

4. Gravelrocks

Gravelrocks Member

So you own both? I'm sure they're not worlds apart, but is there a noticable difference?

5. Fubba

Fubba Member

TS9 is harsher, but you really have to wind it up and A/B it to hear the difference.

6. obasnoj

obasnoj Member

ive read that the 808 has a more pronounced mid hump. i havent spent a lot of time with a ts9 in order to confirm, but thats what ive read. both cut bass

7. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

His modded ts-9 to 808 specs sound pretty much the same to me. I believe it's cheaper to get a modded ts-9 than the reissue 808.

Make sure to use a carbon battery for best tone

plexi

8. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I think it is the opposite - the 9 has more midrange. I suspect AM's 808 mod is very comparable to an 808 RI, though people will argue that a vintage 808 sounds better than a modern 808 (same with the 9's), and this is reflected in the used price sale. It really comes down to personal preference, for a recently made pedal (after original TS's), I would go with his Silver option, which I have two of. A few TS9 geeks like myself have urged me to try a vintage original so I might pick one up. The extra mids in the 9 might make it more effective for lead respectively, which is what I would use for lead and a silver/808 for a cleaner one.

9. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

take any ts9 and make it an 808 =

Desolder resistor (470 ohm) R55 and put in a 100 ohm resistor​
    Desolder resistor (100k) R58 and put in a 10k resistor

perhaps a ic change as well.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

They're the same pedal, built on the same circuitboard. The TS-9 is a TS-808 with 2 different resistor values in the output secition that make it a bit brighter and slightly less smooth. I wouldn't get hung up on the differences. I cringe whenever I read on forums people saying things like they sound "worlds apart" or whatever other cliche people tend to use.

A greater tonal difference in these circuits is symmetrical clipping (tubescreamer) versus asymmetric (Boss SD-1; Fulldrive). I personally like my orange FD2 better than the 82 TS-9 I had before it, and reckon it's the asymmetric clipping I prefer.