TS pedal before or after OCD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Jan 31, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I know many people here stack their OCD with TS-type pedals...for those of you who do or have done it, is it better to place the TS-type pedal before or after the OCD? It would be great if you could also explain your reasoning behind doing it one way vs. the other...

and if it helps, I play a strat through a blackface bassman...

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

I put mine after the OCD. Generally I like the lead tone of a TS type pedal when it's being pushed by another louder, higher gain type, and, I like the extra sustain I get rather than using the OCD for leads. I find the V.2 to be a bit too uncompressed for lead work.

3. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I put a Zendrive after the OCD, mainly to keep the outstanding touch sensitivity of the OCD when stacking the 2. Actually do OCD>Zen> Barber LTD> clean amp (the LTD serves as an amp in slight breakup).

gb

4. KPO

KPO Member

I sometimes use an OCD and a BBpreamp. By accident I pushed the BB with the OCD and I had a great leadsound. How it will sound on giglevels I wouldn't know I was fiddlin around in my studio with a PodXT and a few pedals.

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I run a modded SD-1 before the OCD. I use the OCD for rythym work and hit the SD-1 for leadwork. I don't know if one way is "better" than the other. I did find my Guyatone MD3 delay doesn't like being placed after the OCD so i'm gonna try it OCD> SD-1>MD3. Anyhow, i'll always say, move things around till you find what you like best.

6. fish01

fish01 Member

I like the TS style pedals in front of the ocd. I use the ocd as the main distortion sound and the TS for a little more push.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I'd put the TS in front of the OCD since the OCD has a wider sonic spread - the reverse would have a funneling effect...

8. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

I love my OCD v2 and my Silver Kiss. However, I've noticed that if I have the SK after the OCD, the SK doesn't sound the same. The other day I took the OCD out of the chain, and suddenly I was thinking "man, the SK sounds better than I can ever recall". When I put the OCD back in ahead of it, it loses something. Gotta try it before the OCD and have to test with other dirt pedals to see if it happens to them as well as the SK. Weird.

9. madscientist

madscientist Member

OK, I change my answer....
    I just put my pedalworx Tejas in front of the OCD and damn, gives me a lot more sustain through the OCD. It's improved to the point where I don't think I need a compressor.

10. Iversen

Iversen Member

I have a TS-808 that I run after the OCD v.3. I'm doing this because I need a buffer after the OCD. No buffer after seems to kill the highs of my signal.