TS shootout...EQD Dunes vs Mesa Grid Slammer vs WH Green Rhino MK IV?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Hello guys!

I am looking at Tube Screamer based pedals as I want to add another to the pedal collection.

Any experience with all 3 of these pedals or any two?

I use high gain master volume amps.

Thanks guys!

Stratburst70

I have two Green Rhinos, so that should tell you which one I prefer. ;)

Of the three you've mentioned, I'd give the Green Rhino the best bang-for-buck award in addition to the most easily available, plus (of the three) it's the one I've seen on most professionals' pedalboards: Michael Landau, Joe Bonamassa, Elvis Costello, Troy Van Leeuwen (QOTSA) among others.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks brother.

I used to have a GR MKII and liked it but replaced it with a Duncan 805, Sonic Edge J&J, TREX MAB and Xotic AC Comp. Some of those are now gone and I want another TS.

Some pedals inspire me and some do nothing. Example, when I got the Maxon 808 OD, it bored me and didn't inspire. In contrast, the Green Rhino inspired me.

I am in love with the new Mesa pedals and the Grid Slammer attracts me.

Finally the Dunes is so versatile and works with so many amps.

Keep in mind I am looking at the new smaller MK IV. In the end it will be the one that gets my juices flowing. Stay tuned. Ha.
With these 3 I don't care about price because what is the point, if I don't jive with it.

Also want to try the Trex Diva!
This one!
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22491-overdrive-overload-6-pedal-review-roundup?page=4

Last edited:

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned the Grid Slammer and Dunes, as well as many others. Of those two I liked the Dunes better. More options. However my favorite TS type pedal is the JHS Moonshine. It has a lot of output. I like to run the volume high with gain lower. Kinda reverse to most. Great flavor.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned the Grid Slammer and Dunes, as well as many others. Of those two I liked the Dunes better. More options. However my favorite TS type pedal is the JHS Moonshine. It has a lot of output. I like to run the volume high with gain lower. Kinda reverse to most. Great flavor.
Actually, that is a common way to run a TS pedal.

The pedal one ends up liking I think had a lot to do with what inspires you and is most musical to you. Different things inspire us. Right now I use my modded J&J OD, Trex MAB and Bogner Wessex as my TS pedals. The Xotic BB was my go to TS. With the Wessex I can run the bass and treble low to boost the mids.
What makes the JHS so great?

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
To me a TS is just an OD with a good amount of mids. So far my Bogner Wessex and Burnley have knocked all the TS pedals off my board.

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
The JHS had the most mids and crispness. And output I mentioned above. The Dunes was nice but too thin, no body. Moonshine was full but still cut, no mud. Mesa was a little muddy in comparison too.

A lot of people will put all controls on max with tubescreamers, just pointing out how I like it and my experience.

Meriphew

I have a Dunes. It's my main TS pedal now. I love it. I also have a custom Basic Audio 808 (which is on my gig board), and an MJM Blues Devil. The BA and MJM are both great as well.

Trending Topics