TS style OD's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ned, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Ned

Ned Member

i was wondering how the MJM Blues Devil, Menatone Red Snapper, and AC Booster compared for that blues style OD...im looking to replace my Keeley Ts9 which is a little too middy(i know TS's are mid ranged, but some have more than others) and muddy (also not True Bypass) and by researching the forums have come down to these three choices...only other one is the Landgraff but its hard for me to spend 400 dollars for a pedal. i love playing SRV style blues etc. anyones thoughts are welcome :) thanks

2. Luke V

Luke V Member

I assume you're playing a strat. What amp are you using? I'm surprised you don't like the keeley ts9, to me they are a natural with a strat. Have you tried a ri ts9 or ts 808? They still have a mid hump, which to me, fattens a strat, but they will cut the low end making it less muddy, especially with higher gain settings. That said, the Tim od is really versatile, I love it along with my keeley ts9. I think they compliment each other very well.

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

MI Audio Tube Zone may be a good start as they're not too expensive, have true bypass, are dynamic, and have a voicing switch to give you three different choices of tone.

4. Ned

Ned Member

maybe its the humbuckers...i play a gibson LP 59'(maybe??) custom into a Fender Super Reverb, is the keeley ts9 pretty much the same as the other pedals i mentioned before...from what i read around this site i thought they were a step above but i might have been mistaken

5. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

That's arguable at best, IMO. Unless it's been drastically modded a Tube Screamer is still going to sound like a Tube Screamer. It's like pepsi and coke--just subtle variations of the same thing.

You might want to checkout the Radial Tonebone Classic. It's got three different midrange presets--one of which is a flat mid setting. It does low and high gain sounds extremely well. I think Musician's Friend sells them for $189.

I'd recommend a Fulldrive II as well, though if you don't like your TS-9 you may not like the FD2 either.

If you're trying to get your Les Paul to sound like a strat I don't think there's a pedal that can do it. Try a strat through the same rig (Super Reverb + Tube Screamer) and see what you think.

Sorry I can't offer much input on those other pedals.

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

Analog Man does a "Silver" mod to TS9s that bring up the lows and highs to smooth out that mid hump. Check that out, it would cost less than a new pedal. The AC boost is a great pedal, it may not be exactly what you are looking for, but great none the less.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I think you should be looking at pedals that have more EQ flexibilty than just a simple treble roll-off Tone knob. The Xotic AC Booster, Cochrane Timmy, MI Audio Blue Boy, and Reverend Drivetrain II all have really good EQing options in my experience and all sound good with humbuckers and Fender amps IMO. I had a Keeley TS-9/808 and let it go because of the limited EQ...

8. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

I agree with the above post - get one that gives more eq options. I have a Reverend Drivetrain 2 and it works great with humbuckers and single coils.

9. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I have found that using a DOD-250 with a tubescreamer really kicks and takes out some midrange also,
    I have never been happy using just one, I run my dod 250 into a Visual sound Jekyll&Hyde ultimate O/D.
    Never been happier.

10. mcormier

mcormier Guest