• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

TS Style Pedal that cleans up with Guitar Volume

mdrake34

The Red Dirt germanium is marketed to do this, but when I briefly owned it, it didn’t clean up as well as the Lance Keltner demo video. However, that’s when I was still trying to force my Roland Blues cube artist to work as a pedal platform which it didn’t.

bigben55

I've had an old FD2(Push pull comp cut, pre mosfet) for 20 years. It's my #1 dirt, may as well be welded to my pedal board for use with the strat and BF Super Reverb. So I bought another, pre mosfet but with the FM/mini toggle, for use when I dont wanna take the board. Lately, I've been using it with my Z28, but only in comp cut mode, OD at 50%, usually with a dual noiseless P90 tele. Amp set to edge of breakup, maybe slightly dirty. It's fantastic and cleans up well. The noiseless pups allow me to use the Boost for leads without massive noise and feedback squealing.

musicbliss

Silver Supporting Member
So I had a chance to play around with the Keeley Red Dirt last night and I was very impressed with what I heard. This is part of a Tone Workstation so it may be slightly different than a standalone version. There's a toggle switch for a MOD+ (normal modded TS) and a Baked setting (high gain version). I was mainly using the MOD+ setting with a Jaguar into a Blues Deluxe Reissue. Compression and/or clean boost sitting in front of the TS. It basically did what I expected a TS to do, while sounding very natural and smooth with my guitar and amp.

You mentioned BB pedals cleaning up well and I realized that I never really tried this before with my Prince of Tone. Sure enough, it did an amazing job at this. I compared this to the Red Dirt (Gain left of noon, Volume right of noon) and it was at least in the ballpark. Not quite as smooth as the PoT but worked pretty well. Compared to my Rat, which doesn't clean up at all, the Red Dirt was superior at this.

A lot of people have mentioned the red dirt which is a little surprising to me because I believe it is still basically a tubescreamer. A really good one, but surprised that it cleans up well. I may have to get one!

Gemini2

Is there anything in between a TS and BB style pedal?
Xotic BB preamp. Has an option for more or less compression. Has that TS flavor and feel. I have the BB+ and love the versatility. I too love TS circuits. Currently have a HW 808 clone that I run in addition to the BB+.

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
AC Booster. Best TS type I’ve played. Because it’s been around so long is the reason I assume it doesn’t get much attention. But I love mine.

melb_muso

I've got a custom TS clone with a "bright" switch for lack of a better word. Bought it off a friend who also didn't know what exactly that toggle switch does... but definitely adds more brightness. Sounds absolutely fantastic... made in the Philippines by this dude who goes by Electric Nim. He's got a Facebook page.

I was quite wary of this pedal when I first checked it out, probably just a mental block about random "unbranded" pedals. Took me about 5 minutes to dial in a tone that made my sound what it is now. It's an almost always-on pedal that cleans up beautifully and with that bright switch on, it retains the character and clarity when I use the volume knob on my Strat.

Might be worth your time @musicbliss

Cheers!

Jemsc

Well it just depends how you set your amp no? Set it till its slightly breaking up. Then use any overdrive at gain 9 oclock and push the amp with the overdrive volume/level. Roll your volume off then theres your cleanup

Buddy Boy

Stacking 2 TS's with gain off, one wide open and 2nd one slightly above unity. The 2 buffers work together and you get the cleanup.

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
Sparkle drive been on my board 12 yrs.
Cant beat it for an 808 copy.

After all this time voodoo labs just replaced the switch for free.

Cant beat that service either

guitarburger

In my experience - and I'm a die hard TS user - pedal circuits that are based on diode clipping tend to suck at guitar volume clean up. It's just the nature of the beast and I think you're looking for a unicorn. The lack of bass makes the TS the great pedal it is IMO, especially with a hot running Super Reverb.
Am going back to my HW Eternity and a Modded TS9. Am totally done with the King of Tone.

Sir Pickalot

Silver Supporting Member
Jam Pedals Tubedreamer 58. Cleans up well, but depending on your amp volume cuts bass...like most TS pedals if the amp volume is low, you notice the cut more but at reasonably louder volumes, you don’t notice the cut as much and the pedal just sounds like you are tightening up the bass. It also depends on how you run the pedal. I tend to run volume high and gain low.

Trending Topics