TS-type pedals and Blackface Fenders - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Jan 31, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I've heard mixed reviews on using TS-type pedals with blackface fenders and was wondering what people's experiences have been like. I play a strat through a Blackface Bassman and have the opportunity to trade my tubescreamer and get a Silverkiss. Any thoughts on this and/or general thoughts on TS-type pedals with BF Fenders would be much appreciated...

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

ts pedals and bf fenders are a good match. Think Trey Anastasio, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and I'm sure there are countless others who use this combo.

3. minjason

minjason Member

anyone else have experiences using TS-type pedals with blackface amps?

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Well a BF Bassman is much different than say a BF Deluxe. In general, I think TS pedals sound good with Fender amps. I used to own a Bassman... '65 and thought the TS type sounded good.

5. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

TS work well with BF Fenders because the TS adds mids.

TS doesn't work well with tweed Fenders because the TS is adding extra mids on top of a mid heavy amp.

6. madscientist

madscientist Member

+1....slightly scooped-mids amp + TS is a great combo

7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

TS style pedals were basically made to match up with Fenders. The BF Fenders scooped mids make a perfect match with the mid-humped TS od.

I'm confused though because you're stating you have a BF Bassman and a TS that you are thinking of trading. What was your experience of your BF with your TS? I might have misread your post, but can't you test it out for your own ears? Not trying to be a smartass, but some feedback about what you hear and like/don't like would help people to steer you in the right direction.

8. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Tube Screamer + BF Fender = Legendary combination.

9. minjason

minjason Member

Well I recently got a TS-type pedal to use with my bassman because it made sense to pair the mid hump of the TS to the scooped mids of the bassman. I haven't been able to play my amp at gig volume so I can't really tell how much I like the combination. At times, the sound felt a bit muffled/suffocated, and I couldn't quite put my finger on what was happening. I guess I won't be able to tell until I play it full out, but I guess I was just wondering what everyone else had to say about this. In addition, I had also begun reading some great reviews about the Silverkiss and was wondering what people felt about using this pedal with a bassman.

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

That's how TS pedals go. The sound a little too strangled in isolation and at home volumes, but crank them with a band and they sit in the mix perfectly.

11. Theorywolf

Theorywolf Member

I use a Keeley modded TS/9 and a MJM Blues Devil through a Super reverb Reissue--match made in heaven! I also use an original Fender Blues Deville 2X12 and it sounds chewy and dark with the TS-Pedal! Check myspace for the super reverb!

Mike

12. AL30

AL30 Member

I think they sound great. I've been using a TS through a BF bassman for a while now. I've tried other OD's and distortion boxes but keep going back to my $20 TS-5. If you want to other pedal get it but I would recommend keeping the TS. It never hurts to have one around.

AL

13. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

TS seems to work best in BF-voiced amps, and similar

14. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    agreed. the BFs have such a flat EQ, to my ears that the TS helps them stand out a little better in a mix. especially for leads... i think too much of a ts-type sound through a BF gets a little weary though as it can sound nasally....

15. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

+1 on all the TS/blackface love....ive read alot about the silver kiss and anyone correct me if im wrong but its seems with all the EQing on the SK you can get TS9 sounds ?? i think the SK is way more open..but its seems that it could overlap a bit?

maybe a trade could be cool? assuming you dont have an old coveted "original" tube screamer..then keep the TS..