TS9 + FD2 or OCD? :O

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sanders4617, Jan 8, 2008.

1. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Ok. I am sure this has been discussed a million times, but here is my question.

I currently have a TS9, FD2, and a Triboost pedal for my overdrive/boost.

I like the FD2, but sometimes, it feels like I get just as good tone or the same kind of tone from both the TS9 and FD2. I understand why, as they are both tubescreamer pedals.

I like to play anything from blues, softrock, classic rock, and country.

Do you guys think I would have more versatility with an OCD and TS9 rather than the FD2+TS9? Would an OCD sound good for classic rock and country?

I use a Rivera R-100 amp and a JV Strat. I am satisfied with that part of my gear, except I wouldn't mind having a Les Paul to go with it.

Anyway... This has been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I really do like stacking the FD2 and TS9 to get some nice lead tones and stuff, so that is the really good part. Would the OCD stack just as well?

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

OCD would definitely give you more versatility. Its more of an amp-gain sounding device than a pedal-sounding box. The ts-9 defines the overdrive pedal sound, so the OCD and its amp-ness could make a nice contrast. And yes, its an excellent classic rock pedal. Dial in a good rhythm tone with the OCD and kick on the TS-9 to boost it for leads.

3. improv4

improv4 Member

+1 re-animator
    Another option would be to use the OCD in HP mode for the leads and sizzle. In LP mode it is great for rhythm or lead, especially if you utilize your volume on the guitar.

4. 89strat

89strat Member

I don't use the ts-9, but I do use a sparkle drive which is based on a tube screamer. I use the OCD for my main rythm then kick on the sparkle drive for leads (The sparkle drive is after the OCD). Excellent combination.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I too am a sparkle drive user (the ultimate boost pedal!)... goes into my Box of Rock for lead boosts.... man its sexy.

6. TimH

TimH Member

I'd keep the FD2 and swap the TS9 for the OCD. I agree they are redundant but the FD2 is the better, more versatile pedal to me.

7. sanders4617

sanders4617 Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I am trying to decide on whether to keep the TS9 or FD2. For some reason, I have always liked the TS9 a little better than the FD2. The FD2 is definitely more versatile as far as tones compared to the TS9. The FD2 has about 5 different variations in tone, so that is a plus. Comp-Cut, FD(Mos/Standard), Vintage(Mos/Standard).

I am definitely probably going to go for an OCD though. I will work with both pedals a lot in the next week or so and make a decision. Thanks!

8. waveman

waveman Member

+1, I was just about to post the same thing