TS9 Repair

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mike Duncan, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I'm putting together a board with my 21 year old Tubescreamer TS9. The switch has gone bad on me - it engages sometimes and does nothing other times. I'm not a technical guy or super patient with pulling little things apart. Who is a good company to send my old friend off to be repaired?

Thanks!

2. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Contact cleaner.

4. jm9239

jm9239 Member

5. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

The switch is a relay - a little button under the switch. Spray it out with some contact cleaner or wd-40 first.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Technically it's not a relay, but the electronic flip-flop switching sort of resembles one in the way it operates. The switch is just a small momentary (normally open) tactile switch, and you'll get at it from inside the battery compartment. Underneath the foam, there's a little circuit board held in place with two screws. Pull it out, and you might be able to dribble a little contact cleaner into it.

TS-9's made from the re-introduction in 1993 onwards have a switch that can't be taken apart for cleaning. But sometimes you can get contact cleaner into the switch anyway, so it's worth a try.

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

Very good. I'll try to get to the switch first. If that doesn't work, I'll get it off to Analogman!

Thanks guys!