TSA - 95% of attempts to smuggle weapons go undetected.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

2. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Great excuse for businessmen to get richer!!! More security dammit!!!!

3. AA864

AA864 Supporting Member

yeah, what we need to slow down the airport experience even more. Can we get more security screening please, I might make my connecting flight in Dallas

4. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

This was mentioned in a previously nuked thread. I predict the same fate for this one.

fjblair and Nickstrtcstr like this.
  5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Shame it has to be that way, but Tom is right. Magic 8 Ball says "thread not long for this world"...

6. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Calling dr. Tweedbucket for the coup de grace.

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

The machinery is VERY capable. I know all of this equipment intimately.

But if the user is unmotivated to use it properly....or is just too lazy to look at the screen.....or can't pat someone down properly...well, then you get the results in the report.

mr coffee likes this.
  8. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

its all theater to make the scared little americans feel better about flying. does anyone really believe, in their heart of hearts, that removing their shows for security makes them any safer?

NewLeaf09, ACfixer and kev324 like this.
  9. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

From what I read, they're not paid very very well so I guess you can expect the level of thoroughness that goes along with it.

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Ah. Missed it. Wasn't aware or else I would not have created this one. I'll leave it here and hope people will use a little restraint, this time.

11. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

good luck TJ..i think it borders too close on politics, close enough to enflame some posters anyway.

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I haven't had to remove my shoes on about the last 10x I flew from Europe to the US; only when in the US. And I have a ton more confidence in European airport security.

13. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Since they caught one shoe bomber in the act and the machine can't sniff shoes for explosives if you're wearing them, yes. I don't mind taking them off for a minute one little bit...you might want to read this and refresh your memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_shoe_bomb_plot

14. Trout

Trout Member

If the TSA would just hire Ex-UPS & FedEx workers a bomb would never get on a plane.

15. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I see a bright future ahead for this thread.

[​IMG]

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I started a thread about how they took my toothpaste. A few knuckleheads made it political and complained it was political and it was nuked

17. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Wish I could say I'm surprised but there are some real idiots on this board who'd make anything political. Glad I don't know these people in real life. Ugh.

18. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce Supporting Member

yes, i remember that well. i also remember the so-called 'panty-bomber' who hid explosives in his unmentionables. thankfully were now only subject to xray scans and not full nudity at the airport.

19. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

There's something about the report that hasn't been ....and likely won't be...mentioned:

The people who "got through" were IG and/or red-team people....they're experts on the equipment and understand ALL of the vulnerabilities of the process. Sure, there was a guy who wasn't patted down real well, but some of these "missed contraband" failures were extremely-well executed by experts.

Here's the deal: Remember all of the great "what do you do for a living?" threads in recent years? I never participated, because I wasn't allowed to discuss my job. But I no longer have that job, so I'm no longer bound to the terms of secrecy.

For 11 years, I worked for a division of Siemens as a project manager. We held the DHS contract to provide 100% coverage of ALL security equipment at ALL the airports in the US for the TSA. We did ALL installations, maintenance & repairs. Metal detection, X-Ray, bomb detection, body scanners (radiation & non-radiation).....I know what these machines can (and can't) do, how they work, what the vulnerabilities are, etc. You name it, I've touched it. We had hundreds of technicians, all around the country, providing immediate emergency response to the TSA, keeping them running at over 400 airports, big & small alike.

IG tests (that's Inspector General) were ALWAYS a PITA, because they were very, very, VERY good at "getting through", and we were would have to immediately respond to verify / calibrate the machine(s) in question to make certain that it wasn't the machine's 'fault'.

The TSA is really pretty good, but like all things in life, you get a representative bellcurve of humanity running the machines.

But these machines are amazing. Advanced technology X-Ray machines have amazing capabilities that would stun you! Bomb detection gear....VERY accurate. Walk-through machines....same.

The shoe bomber was mentioned, above. He tried to bring down a plane with TATP (tetramethyl tetraoxane AKA peroxyacetone). At the time, the bomb machines were not calibrated for TATP, but within 96 hours of his capture, we had >89% of the machines in the country re-set to add a channel for TATP. Within 1 week, 100% of machines could sense TATP. The one brand of machine that didn't have the capability...they were immediately removed from service & replaced. Yes, the technology is awesome, and yes, the TSA is on the ball.....a lot more on the ball than the recent test would make you believe.

Is there room for improvement? Sure. Should some screaners be removed? Most likely. But this report isn't representative of the hard work that the TSA is doing. The amount of stuff that they DO confiscate....quietly & without public fanfare....would restore a lot of confidence, I do believe.

Anyway.....that's my view from the bridge, FWIW

Oh, and by the way:
    Yes. Not only do I believe it...I KNOW it. The shoes pass through an advanced technolgy X-Ray like the Smiths aTiX6040. The multiple-generator technology has completely re-defined what an X-Ray machine can sense. It isn't just about "seeing metal guns & knives" anymore.....knowing, for example, the density of RDX or TATP or Semtex, etc., the machine *knows* what's in the heel of your shoe. The software algorithm would blow your mind.

Just because someone doesn't understand something doesn't mean that there's no efficacy. It's most certainly not "just theater".....I don't mean to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Blix, gigs, Devnor and 7 others like this.
  20. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the insight, Mark. Improving the S/N ratio a bit is refreshing. :aok