• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

TTB @ Beacon

they

I've seen the TTB three times now in the past two years, and the DTB way back in the day. Since the general has already been said (great lineup, lots of chromatic noodling, Derek's a God, etc) I'll restrict this to the specific.

Compared to the shows from last year, they have tightened up the jamming quite a bit. The breakdowns and sidetracks are much more limited, likely because over the past year on the road they have put in quite a few new songs and they don't need to pad so much. Every member had the spotlight at some point, but it didn't feel as indulgent as last year's shows.

The noodling intros have similarly been toned down in favor of more "on point" teases leading to the song body.

Leon Russell joined them on stage for two of his songs (Space Captain and Darling be Home Soon). Although he didn't sing and only took one piano break. (Side note, his opening hour was far more upbeat and satisfying than I expected. He has a great band, and is in VERY good voice, with great stage patter. Wish he would lay off the 80s synth sounds tho.)

Eric Krasno (Soul Live) joined for the songs he co-wrote on Revelator and the encore.

The horn section seemed much more subdued compared to last October. I've heard that the band only travels during the day, which leaves time for significant late-night festivities, which might account for the waning energy over the last year on the road.

The NY crowd was very animated, and an interesting mix of ABB holdovers, guitar geeks, and young couples. It was great to watch the reaction to the more gospel-y songs, Bound for Glory and Wade in the Water, which got full throated, full body approval from the young crowd.

Susan now takes more than one solo.

All in all an excellent show from a steadily-improving band that started from excellent and is only getting better. I hope they take some time to write some more originals and put out an albumn at least as good as Revelator.

I'll be curious to know what they play Fri and Sat - how many repeats...

Setlist: Everybody's Talkin / Don't let me Slide / Rolling and Tumbling / Darling be Home Soon (w/ Leon Russell) / Space Captail (w/LR) / Midnight in Harlem / Learn how to Love (w/ Eric Krasno) / These Walls (w/EK) / Bound for Glory / Get What You Deserve (Mike Mattison on Vox) / Unknown / Uptight (w/ EK) / Drums&Bass solos / Love has Something Else to Say - Why Don't we Do it in the Road tease (w /EK) Enc: Wade in the Water / Sky is Crying

Bluzeboy

Sounds like a great time....

btw.. Leon Russell joined them on stage for two of his songs (Space Captain and Darling be Home Soon) Those aren't LR songs.. just for the record.

they

Sounds like a great time....

btw.. Leon Russell joined them on stage for two of his songs (Space Captain and Darling be Home Soon) Those aren't LR songs.. just for the record.

Correct - they noted from the stage that he played on / released early versions of these songs (with Joe Cocker, of course). I didn't want to get too wordy so near a parenthetical. My bad.

taco-man

Platinum Supporting Member
Typing out the name of the band you're reviewing would be helpful to some readers.

Trending Topics