TTE VS. Cornish T.E.S.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone Guru, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Member

All right, which echo should I buy? The Fulltone TTE or the Pete Cornish Tape Echo Simulator? Does the Cornish T.E.S. really sound like a Tape echo or just a really good digital delay? Does it rival the very best Lexicon delays? I am looking for really fat big sounding delays. How good can a Boss DD-2 sound? The Fulltone is a lot cheaper and it is a tape echo.

I want to use it for fattening up both rhythm and lead tones. I already use a Boss DD-5 (w/ analogman high-cut) for rhythmic tap tempo delays. So why would I need to spend $1600 on the Cornish T.E.S?

2. landru64

landru64 Member

>Does the Cornish T.E.S. really sound like a Tape echo or just a >really good digital delay?

sounds pretty close to a tape echo, but is not exactly a tape echo. if you have to have a tape echo, get a tape echo. but i don't miss my tape echo anymore.

> Does it rival the very best Lexicon delays?

yes.

> I am looking for really fat big sounding delays. How good can a >Boss DD-2 sound?

extremely good. these are really big and fat.

>The Fulltone is a lot cheaper and it is a tape echo.

sounds like you have already convinced yourself. so get the fulltone. how much do you like tape noise?

>I want to use it for fattening up both rhythm and lead tones. I >already use a Boss DD-5 (w/ analogman high-cut) for rhythmic >tap tempo delays.

i have an analogman dd2 and it's really great. no comparison with my TES. not even close.

i'd also look at the echoczar based on the comments here.

3. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

+1 with a bullet. I'm just getting my arms around the 'czar, but it's an incredible tool. My initial reaction is that it's quite a bargain :eek: given the tones it places at one's disposal.

- DB

4. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Member

Thanks for the help on the TES! Have you owned or tried the Fulltone?

Tell me a little more about the Echoczar. Is it dark like other analog delays? There is no tone knob unfortuately. Is the vintage mode realy dark or just a slight high cut? How clear and full is the modern mode?

5. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

TG -- I've spent most of my time so far in "Modern" mode, which is clear and pristine analog -- very reminiscient of my Aqua Puss, but with a LOT more delay time on tap. After I listen more to the Vintage mode I'll give you my $0.02 on that tone. I've owned plenty of "dark" ADs, and FWIW I have also test driven the TTE. More to follow.

- DB

6. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Where can you find a TES? I heard Cornish wasn't making them much anymore.

7. landru64

landru64 Member

cornish is making them.... you just may have to find a dd2 to send him. that shouldn't be too hard. maybe some of his dealers will have one in stock... check around.

8. 85db

85db Member

Is Analogman DD-2 better than Cornish Tube Echo Simulator?

9. landru64

landru64 Member

no, but it's great for the dough....

10. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I've got a TTE & must say it is a thing of beauty. Keep in mind it is a tube tape delay, so it won't get pristine digital-ish Lexicon/Roland sounding delays. It's always warm & juicy - which is why I love it. I've got a Roland SDE-2500 for the other flavors.

The TTE's tube circuitry warms up your tone nicely even when the echo is off. Bonus!

For the price of a T.E.S. - you could get both a TTE & a Roland!

. . . but I've never heard or played the T.E.S. - so take that into consideration. . . .

11. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

its quiet but not like a digital delay...i think that was the point.

13. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

14. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I am using a Boss DD-6, it really sounds great. I can't justify spending $1000 + on a delay, of course I don't have $1000 to spend, but even if I did, I don't think I would.

I prefer digital to analog... it sounds better to my ears.

15. lv

lv Supporting Member

The mechanical noise is loud enough that if you use condenser mics, you'll pick it up. The one I bought was not dead quiet (I don't mean the tape noise). Nice sound, but not for the money. We'll see how the T.E.S. stacks up.

16. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

nahh, I've had noisy TTE cartridges and quiet ones. But all of 'em get dead-quiet by simply placing the TTE on its front, ie, Logo badge face-down. I always run it mine that way.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

dead quiet? I think you love this product so much its affecting your hearing :)

Seriously, so many owners and the magazine review talk about tape noise, maybe you got the only quiet one?

Mike Fuller himself admits there is some mechanical tape noise.