TTE vs EP3 vs DMM vs DBD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erer, Dec 22, 2009.

1. erer

erer Member

:boxer

help me decide how to spend my tax return. ive narrowed it down to 4 contenders.

i play real loud. loads of gain (dimed time machine boost into a cranked jester).

i want something to leave on pretty much all the time...something that sits in the mix nicely and wont make a mess of my attack.

what would you choose and why.

i dont care about the price tag or maintenance. i just want them killer tones!

thanks dudes

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. zachman

zachman Senior Member

This would be my pick in the price range of the TTE, that meets your criteria.

Why? Because you have the Dynamic Ducking Delay feature which is VERY useful, for the always on scenario for starters, the versatility of presets, and loops to drive your other stuff, and it rules.

[​IMG]

3. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

Out of your four - for cranked tones and left on all the time for ambiance - the DBD is going to be hard to beat. That gets my vote - small format, absolutely GREAT tone with distorted guitar, won't mess with attack (in fact, it is tuned to sound great with your attack - even when the dialed in delay time isn't right on with your song's metronome - amazing delay for this).

Cheers

4. erer

erer Member

my roommate has a dmm...sounds great. just never tried it at practice. need to do that asap!

im going to try a tte in a few weeks. (a buddy is coming into town, and im going to try his.)

i really wish there was some way i could try out the dbd before i buy. there are no dealers around here.

i dont know anyone with an ep3.

im sorta drawn to the ptp aspect of the tte...right now my entire signal path is ptp...it would be nice to keep that motif going.

anyone else care to weigh in?

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

I LOVE my TTE, but I'd also love to try both an EP3 (tape echo purists claim it gets no better than this) and the DBD. Might want to consider adding the Skreddy Echo to your short list too.

6. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

7. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

8. erer

erer Member

added.
    :beer

9. erer

erer Member

bingo

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

The answer to this is the Deep Blue Delay. Best delay I've tried to handle ridiculously hot signal and come out the other end giving a real subtle background delay wash still.

11. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Consider a vintage Roland Space Echo?

12. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I've had a TTE, and still have an old EP3 and DMM.
    The TTE is a great unit, but I prefered the vibe of the EP3, which is cheaper too.
    The old DMM is the closest thing to the EP3 in a pedal format I've played, and can do its own things too.

I don't play real "high gain" modern stuff though, but use some OD / Fuzz in front of the EP3, that goes into a 60's Marshall.

13. erer

erer Member

thanks for the input guys!

14. erer

erer Member

kinda worried about the min delay time on the TTE. i like the time knob on the DMM set around 6 o'clock...except i dont know how many milliseconds that setting translates to

should i worry?

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

analog delays sound *NOTHING* like tape. They have a metallic sound which some folks mistake for tape grainyness but the latest round of digital delays (wampler,tech21,fuchs) sound much closer to tape delay

16. lv

lv Supporting Member

Does your amp have an fx loop?

17. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm afraid I don't see much similarity between the DBD and the tape echos. The DBD is a great sounding delay, repeats sort of EQ upwards which move them out of the way of what you're playing. Tape delays EQ downwards more, but they have all the attendant circuitry of the preamp which changes things completely. I don't know if there's a way to put that in words. If you've got money for a TTE, I'd suggest getting one used. If it's not THE pedal for you sell it and move on. BTW, the best straight forward delay is the Way Huge Aquapuss, quiet fat and beautiful (and yeah, I've compared it with the DBD which I'd place somewhere around number 2 or 3 for analog delays).

18. erer

erer Member

i use a preamp/poweramp rig. so the effect could be be placed before or after my preamp

19. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

I tried quite a few platforms during the R&D for our delays. I simply don't get the analogue delay "thing". They sound soft, rolled off, and pretty grim sounding (IMHO), yet lots of people have built plenty of products around them.

Accurate reel tape is wide bandwidth, musical, and natural. Problem is, most tape delays have poor head alignment, worn tapes, dirty heads, and mechanical issues that make them have a certain low grade sound people get accustomed-to. I suppose that's why people think crappy sounding analogue delays "sound like tape". Sure, like crappy tape maybe....not like good sounding tape. I had a local buddy that used a Revox A-77 as a tape delay, complete with a variable motor speed control. Sounded freaking unreal.

Heck, the heart of the Beltron reverb modules is the PT-2399, which is over ten year old technology, and (even with tube audio stages) sounded like junk to my ears. The SIB's used a similar (although more elaborate) delay from Princeton Technologies as well. Bucket brigades are a dying breed and approaching extinction, and (although I'm not sure) may not be RoHs either. For any kind of mass production, they are a dead end (IMHO) like tape will be soon.

For those wondering: Our three delays are a full 16-Khz bandwidth (32-K clock), which starts gently rolling at about 12-K (6-db per octave), and uses the same technology as the Verbrator does for reverb, with a different algorhythm. The tube analog portion helps, adding modulation (in small doses), adding the ability to adjust the quality accordingly.

20. erer

erer Member

im very excited for your delays to come out. really diggin your clips! when will they drop, BTW?

the bottom line is...i dont care where the delay comes from...BBD, tape, or digital...i just want something that sounds really good for my application

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009