Tu-2?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Artimus82, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

I'm supposed to keep this thing LAST in the chain?!

2. 6789

6789 Member

3. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I used to put mine first, but eventually settled on it last and in a seperate loop with a kill switch. More due to the orientation of my other pedals thatn any other tonal considerations. I did not notice a big difference with it in the chan, but like to be able to kill the signal to the amp and tune silently on stage.

4. Lightningrt

Lightningrt Member

5. charmboy

charmboy Member

put it wherever you want, but your sound will improve if it's at least after any dirt pedals... Might a well put it last though, so you can put it's bypass buffer to good use.

6. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

LOL

I clicked on this thread with the intention of posting this exact point.

Mine's still in the mail :puh

7. charmboy

charmboy Member

We all realize that the Turbo Tuner is great and all, but some people might already have a tuner (or any piece of gear for that matter) that works fine for their purposes and just want advice for that particular piece of gear. It's pretty annoying that posts like these appear everytime a thread like this comes up. I'm not a fan of the TU-2 either, but the OP's question was most certainly NOT about alternatives to it.

8. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Thank you. Finally someone that makes mention of this...

Anyway, back to the point - I've read that 10 or so page thread about having the TU-2 last and yes, it does make a significant improvement in tone rather than having it first. However, it's annoying to have to turn almost all your effects in order to tune. But I realized that the main issue with the TU-2 is that it's a buffered pedal so having something like that at the very front of your chain is where the problem begins. But you can easily fix this but putting it after a buffer instead of being last (I can't exactly explain this placing-a-buffered-pedal-after-a-buffer business but i know it works). So now I have the TU-2 sitting in front of my compressors and 1 overdrive so at the least, I would just need to turn off one effect to tune. Try this and see if it works better for you.

9. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

It's also annoying when people don't use the search function to discover the 100+ posts that already address the question...

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

I see what you're saying here... I'd really only be concerned with turning off any modulation effects you have running before the tuner. My fuzz is almost always on and I never think to turn it off when I tune. Of course if I were running any pitch modulation stuff before the tuner, it'd be a bigger concern. A simple solution, which is what I think you're getting at here, is to run the tuner after dirt but before modulation. In the end it won't make a huge difference unless you try putting a TU-2 before a fuzz pedal.

11. charmboy

charmboy Member

Good point! Touche' :)

12. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

fair enough. my apologies for cluttering the board.

to add to my question tho.
    the TU-2 has a buffer in it. isn't that true for all Boss pedals?
    So if I put my DD20 last it'd do the same thing correct?
    Just stick the tuner after my OD's and Fuzzes and I'm good with the DD20 at the end of the chain as well?

13. charmboy

charmboy Member

That's probably how I'd run it with your setup.