• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Tube Amp Backup at Gigs?

huffyboy

I have several old tube amps that I occasionally gig with and have never had a problem..But I do always hear about people suggesting having a backup (not another amp) of some sort in case your old tube amp fails to perform..What types of backups (pedals I assume) do you use or recommend that would enable you to go direct into the PA? I used to have an old Mesa V-Twin OD pedal that qualified but I sold it..Your thoughts? Thanks

majorledhead

Silver Supporting Member
I think a Orange Tiny Terror would make a nice backup that didn't take up a lot of space. I think some guys even have a Crate Power Block close as a cheap small insurance policy.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
I have a crate power block in my gig bag but have never had to use it, I also have a Palmer PDI 09 DI that I can put my pedals thru right into the pa but have never had the need for that either!

dosmun

I keep a Powerblock in the car just in case. In more years than I care to remember I've never had a problem but it seems others do so if not for me for someone else it is there just in case.

rockon1

Silver Supporting Member
Been a while since Ive gigged but last time I did I used a combo and carried my short VC50 head and an "extention" speaker cable to hook it up to the combos speaker if need be. Bob

kingsxman

Silver Supporting Member
Crate powerblock for me also. It would get me through the night (with pedals) in a pinch.

kevinhifi

The other guitar player in the band has a Crate Powerblock that's a backup for both of us - what are the chances that both of our amps would die on the same night. I've used it in practice while my head was in for service. Pretty impressive little SS (or is it technically digital??...same thing??) head.

plato67

Silver Supporting Member
+1 on the PB. One of my ol' Traynors crapped out at a gig during Honky Tonk Woman...

I ran out to my car grabbed my PB, ran back to the stage, hooked it up and played the last part of the song.

The tone was also acceptable, under the circumstances. Having said that, I heard someone playing thru one of those Vox Nightrain thingies today and it sounded quite nice. Although I gather it costs more than the 100 bucks I paid for my Power Block.

Powderfinger

Platinum Supporting Member
Sometimes I take a second head. Sometimes a SansAmp GT-2. Sometimes an Ethos. Always have some kind of backup.

Rosewood

Any backup amp, pedal, etc is better than plugging straight into the PA. Cars have spare tires for a reason, you may never need it but one day....

ikan

I'm not gigging anytime soon but I keep my Power Block as backup for future usage just in case. For live setup, I think I'll use my Boss GT-8 plus some other OD/dist pedals into FX loop of whatever amp(s) availabe or direct into PA. I'm gonna get another single tube amp sim pedal like the Sansamp GT-2 as backup. Plug it into the FX loop of the Power Block (ie disabling its preamp section) and voila, instant "tube sounds".

Gtrman100

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a AD30VT for $100:

It'll be going into the van for every gig. It actually sounds pretty good, and with the footswitch you can get three distinct channels happening. If the pedalboard and amp take a dump, I'll still make it through(miked).

MusicESP

For backup, I keep an Adrenalinn III in my Gig bag. It's got nice amp models, great effects, and it sounds good plugged stereo into the board. My Clubman hasn't failed me yet, but it's good have a plan B.

bilbal

I always have a tube amp backup with me. If I'm using my SLO, it's a Greer UD15. If I'm using the Greer, the SLO is close by.

mikeller

I almost always carry two amps - unless I playing close to home.

Years ago I had an amp poop out on me 4 gigs in a row, each time professionally serviced. Left a sick feeling in my stomach that therapy hasn't fixed (LOL)

I have thought about this for a while, because it gets to be alot more work loading and unloading, plus the wear and tear on me...

I have been thinking about ditching one of my combos and getting a head for this very reason.

Trending Topics