Tube amp for acoustic?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by docgorpon, Dec 19, 2009.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I've been using my Larrivee' more than usual lately. I have a fishman hole mount pickup that works fine. I'd like to have some effects and/or an amp.

I have a very clean 20 watt Ampeg tube amp. Not specifically designed for acoustic. What would be the cons of using it instead of the typical ss acoustic amp on the market?

If there are no downsides to using the Ampeg, I could spend the money on a decent effects/di thing like the one boss makes.

If it's not recommended to use this sort of amp, I guess I'd have to go with one of the cheaper, current acoustic combos that has effects built in.

2. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

Electric guitar amps don't typically work for acoustics well. The EQ isn't right, too much breakup, not enough volume before feedback, etc.

For acoustic guitars you tend to want a wider frequency response (particularly the highs) and cleaner tones. Essentially you want a PA for accurate acoustic tones, at least that's what I look for.

Ampegs are often very clean, at least the old ones, so they're among the better choices of tube guitar amps to consider, but still not for me.

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

What do you plan to use it for? That's the determining factor. Yes, it'll work, and with some tweaking probably not sound bad at all, especially considering you're using a magnetic soundhole pickup. But don't expect a clean acoustic sound ... the same goes even if you bought an expensive "acoustic amp" ... your pickup is the limiting factor here.

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

This is all true.

5. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Hard to say. In the studio I mic it. I guess it'd be for occasional stage use. I recently used it in a pub gig (to DI box and straight into the PA.. sounded alright). And I have a bigger weekend gig that uses it once in awhile as well. Mic'ing it live with a band behind me was really a nightmare.
    It's a really nice acoustic without a pickup (or strap buttons for that matter). And I refuse to permanently mod it. So I don't mind sacrificing a little on the pickup end. Maybe I'll just get an AD-3 and depend on the venues PA?

6. Stadler Guitars

Stadler Guitars Member

I saw Elvis Costello open for Bob Dylan at the Ryman. I sat in the center of the front row. Elvis played solo with several vintage flattops through an unmiked Fender Pro Jr.. It was totally rockin'.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

Yeah, mics on a loud stage are murder. You might consider a different soundhole pickup ... Baggs M1 active, or Sunrise. Takamine sells one that looks like a black M1, too. I love my M1A when my other pickups won't work (due to feedback).

Honestly though, unless you're playing solo acoustic the tone of your guitar isn't so critical ... as long as it sounds reasonably acoustic you're good. The audience won't be listening for sonic purity ... really.