1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tube amp for bedroom player

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by metallica86, May 16, 2011.

1. metallica86

metallica86 Member

Okie so I give up with all the Pod HD, Digitech stuff... I always miss my Traynor YCS50, too loud for my situation right now. I live in an apartment downtown here, and looking for a good tube amp with small volume. How you guys practice at low volume ? Any amp recommend for me ? I tried Blackstar, blackheart,epiphone but not like these tone, I'm looking for a very clean amp, and run a dirt in front, little delay and that's it. I heard a lot of good reviews about Blue Jr, but they have a lot different versions. Anyone played Blue Jr at bedroom ?

Any suggestion would be appreciate

2. Songman

Songman Member

3. guitar-rookie

guitar-rookie Member

Best bet - Reason Bambino!

Really really love this amp. Takes pedals well and sounds great at low volumes!

4. Cream

Cream Member

From my experience, I would say find the amp with the tone you love and inspires you to play (regardless of volume level, wattage, etc.) then pop an attenuator or power scaler on it.

The concept of the "bedroom tube amp" is non-existent IMO if you want to saturate your tubes. Even the 5-watt, 6 inch speaker Champion 600 is too loud for an apartment. The Blues Jr. is eh... the Blues Jr. It's 15 watts which will blow down the doors on your apartment if played with the tubes working so I say that's not a good call. Look at the VOX ACtv4 I believe it's called. It has a built-in attenuator that knocks it down to something like 1/4 watt. That's the most power you can crank in an apartment without getting neighbors angry.

5. jjones

jjones Member

VHT Special 6 Ultra

6. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I found even my Egnater Tweaker and DRRI are too loud attenuated in my apartment at night.

I just picked up a Vox Lil' Night Train head and am digging it. You can run just headphones, as it has a dummy load and some kind of cab sim.

Takes pedals pretty well and has nice fat cleans. It gets fairly saturated, too, though a tube change really helps here. I'm running an NOS RFT in v1, a 12AX7EH in v2, with an NOS 12AU7 in v3 and like it tons.

Go demo one, you may be surprised.

7. metallica86

metallica86 Member

wow, thanks all to reply. I forgot my budget, I have around max 500$, and looking for used, I never try VHT, no dealer here in Toronto, I really want to try before buy.
    Like Stratpack said, last time I tried SCXD with 15w, volume master at 3 and super-tenant knock my door already. So maybe I should give up with Blue Jr... For an attenuator itself cost me around 200$ already...
    Any other solution ? I really want a Fender clean, I don't want to come back to Pod with a damn headphone

8. mspizziri

mspizziri Member

Not really a Fender clean tone but I like the Blackheart Little Giant for low volume playing and it takes pedals really well

I'm pretty sure I saw the VHT Special 6 on the website for Capsule Music which is on Queen St

9. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Member

i was in a similar situation. I live in an apt. and have a baby on the way. So I recently sold my Egnater rebel 30 full stack, pocketed some cash, and got a tweed champ (5f1) clone. We are getting a house shortly, but once I have the room for that big amp I'll have a sleeping infant as well. I figured with those circumstances a high quality, low watt, low volume amp seemed right for me. The tweed champ can get really nice tones at very low volume, and it actually gets pretty loud for when no one's home. I'm happy with the change.

10. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Dude... if the super's knocking on your door when the MV's on 3... well, it may be POD and headphones for you after all.

Yes, an attenuator that is going to "do" bedroom levels well will be expensive. At least in my experience. I've done $100, $200, and settled on a $600 Aracom. Worth every penny to me, but fully understand that is way too expensive for many peeps.

Were I in your situation, I'd take a chance on the VHT Special 6 Ultra. It's got a built in attenuator and comes stock with 6v6 power tubes. Whether that alone gets you to "Fender cleans," I cannot say. But you CAN try different tubes in that amp. Pretty good deal, methinks.

At any rate: best of luck in your amp hunt!

11. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I've been through POD, Amplitube, Axe-FX and low wattage amps, and what did it for me was to improvise an iso-box.

Get a nice cab, put into a box full of blankets and put a mic in front. I've had no problemas with volume using amps up to 25 watts into a 1x12 so far and sounds great IMO. I'm using an Apogee Duet and a Sennheiser E906 mic for now, but I can't wait to get a new mic preamp.

I also live in an apartment and I've been strugling with this volume issue for a while too. The thing is that even low powered amps sound too loud for an apartment at that "sweet spot" we all like. This really made playing at home A LOT more enjoyable for me.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

^ This can be a nice way to go. A small-ish closed back cab, with sleeping bags/pillows/blankets, etc, can be driven to pretty good levels, with out the sound carrying very far.

13. Mark C

Mark C Member

I kept trying smaller amps, but they're still too damn loud. So, I'm back to 30-50 watt amps with a THD hotplate. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's the best low volume tone I've found, and I can turn it off every now and then and rip.

14. justonwo

justonwo Supporting Member

I basically agree with this. I get great bedroom tone from my Rivera Quiana and CAA PT-100. You just have to tweak things a bit, but both those amps can easily get fantastic tone at bedroom levels. I can do a decent job using a Hot Plate on my Super Lead, but I wouldn't say the sound is stellar.

I also owned a (power scaled) Reeves Custom 30 and Custom 50, but I still prefer the master volume amps mentioned above. Oh, and I've always gotten great tone from my SF Champ.

As for amps specifically designed for bedroom playing, I've enjoyed both the Reason Bambino and Carr Mercury, though I would assert that I can do just as well with my "big" amps.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The Lil Night Train is hard to beat.

16. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

While a cranked amp is a indeed a different beast, there are some amps which provide a satisfying tone (mostly clean tone) at low volumes IMO:
    1. The Fender Blues Deluxe (original and not the reissue) of a friend of mine sounds very lush and glorious at low volumes even on the low b-string of my 7-string guitars. Add a simple OD/distortion pedal like a Vox Satchurator and you get singing lead tone without alerting the noise police.
    2. The Blackstar Artisan combos also provide great clean tones at low volumes. Again, you need to add pedals for distortion.
    3. The German Tube Thomsen company builds small amps with a good clean sound and an astounding lead/distortion sound without waking the neigbours.

17. slowth

slowth Member

i'm looking for one too! just started researching into the area though...

how would the AC4TV (M) compare to say a blackstar HT-1? over here the 4tv ain't alot more than the mini and i'd expect it to sound better but could be too much for a room?

lil night train looks good but kinda outta budget.. hmm.

18. Lemmings

Lemmings Member

I'm going to pick up a Princeton Reverb of some description. Might be a bit overpowered for your needs but you can always turn down the volume a bit. You should be able to a second hand re-issue within your budget.

19. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

20. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Red Iron Lil Mo.

[​IMG]

1W tube amp with great clean headroom. I switched from my Pod to this and would never go back. Run it into a cab sim (I use the Surprise Sounds SE-5) and then out to reverb & EQ pedals and into an interface. Don't need a cab that way, just use studio monitors.

Last edited: May 17, 2011