Tube amp guys, check out what our brothers in hi-fi are playing ...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kiwi, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Meet the Marshall Major of hi-fi:

Atma-Sphere tube monoblocks, 500 watts per side at 8 ohms, 152 lbs apiece.

Tube complement (per channel) is 42 x 6AS7G output tube, and 12 x 6SN7 driver tube.

Deets at http://www.atma-sphere.com/Products/#MA-3

=K

2. RockHardGuitars

RockHardGuitars Silver Supporting Member

Got Tubes?
    Wow...thats a lot of tubes!

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

The Atma Sphere guy was making an OTL guitar amp, I think branded Rendition. It used a bunch of 6AS7G's as well. I don't know how many were made, but I do seem to remember reading that at least one store had one.

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Aha, pictures:

[​IMG]

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/ces05dg.htm

[​IMG]

"Rendition Audio is the latest company of Ralph Karsten, who has built a career of 27 years producing state of the art amplification using his patented OTL designs. In the past, Ralph Karsten's career was focused on the area of High End audio. Now through Rendition Audio he will be a introducing a new line of products that promise to be equally exciting in their respective fields.

The first of these new products is the world's first OTL guitar amplifier! Based on many of the concepts Ralph Karsten has developed in the last three decades, the Rendition Audio Evolution One is an entirely new concept in the world of guitar amplifiers- in fact, 'new' hardly describes the radical concepts that are being introduced.

The Evolution One is not only the first OTL guitar amplifier, it is also the first fully differential and balanced all tube guitar amplifier. Balanced circuitry allows for considerably quieter circuits; so much quieter that the Evolution One has as much gain as two Marshall amplifiers in series, yet remains quiet! There is plenty of gain so that the serious heavy metal guitarist need look no further for the gain he needs, while at the same time for those who need 'clean', the Evolution One is a revelation beside conventional guitar amps.

It does not stop there. The Evolution One also features a unique speaker array (available with many options) that allows for the most consistent sustain of any guitar amplifier in existence. More on the Evolution One will soon be available on the 'Musical Instruments' section of this website.

Rendition Audio will also be participating in the Recording Arts. Two products and a service are planned - a two channel microphone preamplifier with full balanced line capabilities (the quietest and most neutral in its class), an LP mastering amplifier (OTL of course) and finally an LP mastering service using these technologies!"

5. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

$147K for the pair! :omg

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'm always hoping to find one of those Macintosh stereo tube amps at a rummage. I hear they are awesome for rackmount tube preamps.

7. Ben R

Ben R Member

Who wants to pay the price of a house for a home stereo? ...and THEN have to constantly replace tubes all the time. NO THANKS! I can't imagine that it sounds that much better than (say) a $2,000 stereo system.

People are absolutely nuts.

8. bloozetubes

bloozetubes Member

if i had unlimited income id buy one cause im into music, but id still drive a '81 Ford Taurus cause it get me from A to B, and i dont care about cars

9. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

147K? Just think of the savings in central heating, though.

-db

10. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Does it come with a fan? That's a lot of heat! And can you imagine hunting for a microphonic tube?

11. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Are those chinese t00bs?!?!:messedup

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

Does OTL stand for "Out To Lunch?"

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

That's the first IBM computer, not a hi-fi amp.

14. silentbob

silentbob Member

How do you match 42 tubes?

15. I-IV-V

I-IV-V Member

Man, I thought we had it bad with our GAS. Read this paragraph from the same link -

The award for the Most Effective Accessories goes to D. J. Casser of Black Diamond Racing (pictured). I have used DJ's products (shelves, cones and pucks) throughout my reference system for years, and absolutely love them. The new products that DJ was exhibiting at the show were his non-rectangular shelves, which he says sound better than the rectangular ones. They are pictured along with products from his co-exhibitors SOTA (Millennia turntable with Tri-Planar arm and Lyra Helikon cartridge), Thor, and Credo loudspeakers (from Germany).

[​IMG]

16. NBlair930

NBlair930 Silver Supporting Member

GAS is GAS. Lets not judge as it is all relative -some of the stuff going on here would blow their hi-fi minds equally. I personally love listening to a friends crazy high-end audio system, though i dont own one (mainly "mid-fi" for me in my house) because my ears do not appreciate the fine nuances that my friend's do, ironically, likely from attending too many loud concerts in my youth. Nothing more fun than spending time listening with him & having him explain the reason for the newest upgrade to the system with a BIG smile on his face. Two junkies, different drugs.

17. Schroedinger

Schroedinger Member

Even for the hi-fi world, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. Do all the lights on your street dim when you power the thing up?

18. dr.morton

dr.morton Member

:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg:omg

19. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Are they still making CD players with tubes for "analog warmth?"

20. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger