Tube Amp Heat Test?

Grant C.

Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum, and this is my 1st time posting. To be upfront, I'm doing research regarding some isolation cabinets that I plan to bring to market. I didn't read the fine print on the forum rules, so if this isn't allowed please let me know and I'll either adjust or remove my post.

I know what some of you are thinking: "Don't put combo tube amps in an iso box!" Well, time and testing might prove that to be true. But I'm also working on an air ventilation system. Thus, the purpose of my post.

So, if you'll indulge me, could I ask a few questions?
1. When testing my ventilation designs against tube failure, and other heat concerns, how long should the tests be, and what are the warning signs I should be looking for?
2. I was planning to buy one of the Peavey Valveking combos for my test subject. Is this a good choice? If so, does it matter if it's the old / new version or if it's 20 / 50 watt? If Valveking isn't a good choice, what might be better? Assuming this amp and my design make the cut, should I be testing other amps as well?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Grant

amphog

More watts =more heat. If it is going to be sold, it should be idiot proof safe, for your own good, as well as your customers. You will need to design a heat exchanger, no tube amp is designed for the temperature you will get by putting it in a closed box for much time.

Grant C.

Thanks Amphog. Do you, or anyone else know the maximum ambient temperature at which Tube amps generally function well? For example, do they work ok outdoors on a 90 degree day? 100 degrees?

amphog

Depends on the amp, the higher the temp, the shorter the life of parts. Some amps will sound different as they get hot, resistors drift with temp.

Jakejj2000

Hello all,

I'm a new member to this forum, and this is my 1st time posting. To be upfront, I'm doing research regarding some isolation cabinets that I plan to bring to market. I didn't read the fine print on the forum rules, so if this isn't allowed please let me know and I'll either adjust or remove my post.

I know what some of you are thinking: "Don't put combo tube amps in an iso box!" Well, time and testing might prove that to be true. But I'm also working on an air ventilation system. Thus, the purpose of my post.

So, if you'll indulge me, could I ask a few questions?
1. When testing my ventilation designs against tube failure, and other heat concerns, how long should the tests be, and what are the warning signs I should be looking for?
2. I was planning to buy one of the Peavey Valveking combos for my test subject. Is this a good choice? If so, does it matter if it's the old / new version or if it's 20 / 50 watt? If Valveking isn't a good choice, what might be better? Assuming this amp and my design make the cut, should I be testing other amps as well?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Grant
When selling this product, make sure that you put clear on it that you and your product are not responsible for damage to amp and/or mic. Aside from that, if you put some small vent holes in the top of the iso cab...?

Grant C.

When selling this product, make sure that you put clear on it that you and your product are not responsible for damage to amp and/or mic. Aside from that, if you put some small vent holes in the top of the iso cab...?
Yes, there will be a disclaimer of some kind. The ventilation system will be much more effective than vent holes, but I can't reveal much about that ;).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom