Tube amp with impulses?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by polifemo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. polifemo

polifemo Member

I suppose that this has been discussed, but my search gave nothing (my fault, I´m sure..) so: What gadget do I need in order to go from the "speaker out" of my tube amps (no "direct out" in either of them) into my sound card?
    I then plan to use impulses in my DAW so there´s no need for "speaker simulation".

2. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

You need a box that act's as a load with a line out. My THD Hotplate did just that, a lot of attenuators do it. There are other options, like DI boxes that can take a signal straight from the speaker out, though i think they're a bit more expensive (i.e. the Avalon U5, that goes for about $700AUD round here, not sure what your budget is).

They're just the two products I know of, so all you need to do is search for either Attenuators or DI's that can take a speaker input and act as a load.

3. Reincaster

Reincaster Member

Lots of cheap DI boxes can take a speaker level signal. HK Redbox, Quantum Matchmaker (less than $40). the question is if you want a loadbox or not, which makes up the big difference in price. If you plan to record the direct out and are not worried about volume, then most DI boxes with speaker level switches will work (behringer).

4. Sid

Sid Member

try a weber minimass/mass into your soundcard....

i use mixIR2 and redwirez impulses...mixir2 makes it very easy.....

5. cap47

cap47 Member

You can also tap the "B" output of a stereo pedal in your EFX loop! That is how I record and it works fine. Output to input of your interface like M-Audio Fast Track.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member