Tube amps for 600$ and under

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by noname143, May 23, 2015.

1. noname143

noname143 Member

I'm looking for a replacement of my current SS amp that i currently use and I want to buy a tube amp.

Since i don't go on any gigs and play exclusively at home, I think lower wattage amps would be good, around 5W to 10W.

Since I listen to mostly classic rock, the sound i'm looking for would be AC/DC and Led Zeppelin tones at moderate-higher volumes and Pink Floyd like cleaner sounds at lower volumes.

My budget is about 600$.

2. yell03

yell03 Member

Laney Cub12R would fit the bill, gives you reverb for your Pink Floyd style tones.
    Has nice distortion built in. $399

I just bought a Fender Blues Junior, waiting for it to arrive. That is also a nice choice. $529

The Jet City JCA models have great distortion, but they don't stay clean if you play loud like out at a gig, but at home they have a nice gritty clean at low volumes.

3. Dale

Dale Member

4. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

A Vox AC15 might be what you're looking for. It gets all the tones you're looking for, and sounds great at low volume.

5. playthecray

playthecray Member

I agree the Vox AC15C1 would be a good choice. I also had a Tweaker 15 for a while and that was a nice sounding amp as well.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Even a 5-10 watt amp can get loud for home use so I recommend one that has a master volume, attenuator, etc... Or plan on using pedals to get overdrive/distortion at lower volumes.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Laney Cub 10, new speaker and an MFX pedal.

8. DRS

DRS Member

I see used Marshall JCM900 combos in this price range. They have an effective master volume.

9. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

VHT Special 6 ultra! Or regular Special 6 and a mfx pedal.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yep in that price you can get 2 Laney Cub 10, a OD pedal and a stereo delay pedal. Once you go stereo at home you'll never go back.

11. thiago_m

thiago_m Member

Best bang for the buck. Superb quality! Buy the VHT Specail 6 Ultra. It can give you all the versatility you need for home use. Since it is under $400 you can also get a reverb pedal and connect it through the fx loop. You will have a great amp for home use. It is not too big and it certainly isn't heavy although it has a 12 inch speaker. And the stock speaker is fantastic!

12. stratman0602

stratman0602 Member

13. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Whatever you go with, don't rule out larger wattage amps just because it's only for home use. The idea many seem to float around here is you "only need 5-15 watts" at home is just ridiculous. Especially since many small wattage amps only sound good when turned up well past conversation level- a small Tweed amp for example.

Higher wattage amps are perfectly fine for home use. You can just as easily, if not more easily, get a good low volume sound easier than a low wattage amp. It all depends on the amp. Wattage alone means nothing when it comes to loudness.

With that said maybe look into the TA-15 or Mini-Rec.