Tube amps loaded down

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I know I've been going off on the tube amp + reactive load tangent and it really is wild that it took me this long to try out stuff like the Suhr RL-IR. Right now before I pull the trigger on the Captor X (or something even more expensive like the Boss TAE or OX) I'm testing Synergy SYN-30 (with Bogner XTC module) using XLR out / silent mode, cab sims OFF. The analog cab simulation sounds great for FRFR and live use, but testing IR's takes it to a new level.
I'm using Scuffham SGear as my IR host and it's pretty great! I'm using a Celestion Creamback 1x12 IR I had lying around (that is the speaker in the SYN-30 as well). Having access to the excellent FX in Scuffham is sweetl.
I can run standalone or in my DAW too. I have to say, my silent tones have never been this good and I'm super stoked to be using a real amp at home ALL OF THE TIME. On a gig, no question I dig a real amp with a DI solution so I'm looking forward to the Captor X. I'm done with modeling (for now :)
But I'm really digging the combination of tube/analog and digital.
Anyway, quick clip with a noodle for old time's sake. All FX are Scuffham, no EQ everything straight from the amp.

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Sounds great! Using a couple of tube amps in the past year or so in the same manner (ones with built in "loads" so no real "pro level" device doing that bit of heavy lifting) and I got some great results as far as feel and what I was hearing in the room. When listening to recorded tracks; it was less of a difference though. Both had built in cab sims that were quite usable but still wonder how they would do with a bigger/better selection of IRs.

gtr37

I know I've been going off on the tube amp + reactive load tangent and it really is wild that it took me this long to try out stuff like the Suhr RL-IR. Right now before I pull the trigger on the Captor X (or something even more expensive like the Boss TAE or OX) I'm testing Synergy SYN-30 (with Bogner XTC module) using XLR out / silent mode, cab sims OFF. The analog cab simulation sounds great for FRFR and live use, but testing IR's takes it to a new level.
I'm using Scuffham SGear as my IR host and it's pretty great! I'm using a Celestion Creamback 1x12 IR I had lying around (that is the speaker in the SYN-30 as well). Having access to the excellent FX in Scuffham is sweetl.
I can run standalone or in my DAW too. I have to say, my silent tones have never been this good and I'm super stoked to be using a real amp at home ALL OF THE TIME. On a gig, no question I dig a real amp with a DI solution so I'm looking forward to the Captor X. I'm done with modeling (for now :)
But I'm really digging the combination of tube/analog and digital.
Anyway, quick clip with a noodle for old time's sake. All FX are Scuffham, no EQ everything straight from the amp.

In my honest opinion that sounds better Than 99% of modelling clips
Clean is sparkling is that just the syn30 clean

Chocol8

You mentioned the Suhr RL-IR and then said you are going to pull the trigger on something like the Captor X. Was there something you didn’t like about the Suhr?

LaXu

Clip sounds good!

It's definitely a cool way to go if you have favorite amps but in my experience is not any better sounding than a top tier modeler, whether it's a hardware unit or a VST plugin. Despite having the hardware I find myself just firing up a VST plugin nowadays if I can't play loud. If I want to record my amps I will definitely use just a loadbox and IRs because I don't have the space or mics to mic the real cabs.

Gearzilla

A dialed in tube amp always sounds right.

A dialed in modeler always sounds like it just needs a little more tweaking, maybe a different IR, almost there....

:D

dk_ace

I like amps when I get to be or want to be really loud. When using the best devices, I haven’t found much difference for lower volume playing or gigs that require in ears. I didn’t like the hassle of lugging amps just to load them down and run them through speaker sims, preferred the simplicity of a modeler for that.

@Gasp100 why are you still looking at other stuff after the Suhr? Isn’t it kinda the ultimate load box with IRs? That was the one I was planning to get if I grab another in the future. Have you found an amp that gives you everything you want, I know you’ve been through a few of them in the last year or two.

D

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
In my honest opinion that sounds better Than 99% of modelling clips
Clean is sparkling is that just the syn30 clean
Hi, yes clean is the SYN-30 built in clean. Like I said, super quick configuration (the SYN-30 XLR out has a button to disable/enable cab sims so just ran that into my audio interface / DAW. Then Reaper and SGear loaded on each track to apply the IR and FX (if used).

The reason I sold the Suhr RL-IR so quickly was that I moved my Fillmore 25 and only had the SYN-30 (to use in this fashion).
But I liked the Fillmore so much as well I found a 50 on Reverb and did an impulse purchase.
So if I want to use the Fillmore 50 in the exact same manner as the SYN-30, I need a reactive load, etc.
After this testing (for home use especially) I'm convinced loaded down tube amp + IR is the way.
But I also don't want to be tethered to my computer, so something like the Captor X is very attractive. It also looks like it might be small enough to warrant actually coming to gigs (if I use the Fillmore) instead of mic'ing live. And it also offers stereo XLR out, voice/space options which could be really cool live when I have to run sound (my PA is stereo and I'm the sole guitarist).

So, all positives although my gear account is dwindling... with the above I will have all volume requirements from loud gigs / backline to silent covered, very easily, super clean configuration, with or without computer using what I love the most - real tube amps.

I should mention (and I think this is important) - the dials on the amp are EXACTLY what I am using live. I didn't tweak any volumes or anything on the SYN-30 for clean or either channels of the XTC. So I can flip the switch to PLAY and get loud, in the room real amps tones at home. Then take the amp to the gig and maybe boost each volume by just a bit, run XLR out to FOH (this time with cab sims on) and be good to go.
Also, no IR hunting; I had that Creamback 1x12 saved in SGear and used it on everything. WAY less tweaking/fiddling then any modeler I've ever used.

Gearzilla

On the other hand...

Modeling definitely is extremely convenient, sounds good in the right circumstances,and requires less infrastructure to record.

Using both technologies is a great option.

:)

metropolis_4

I've been tempted to go down a path like this before.

The thing that has kept me in digital land to this point is mostly the FOH sound in the live mix.

I feel like the direct tone I hear FOH with my digital gear sounds better and cleaner to me than the FOH sound when I've had an amp mic'd up on stage.

And until now, the direct out options on amps haven't sounded as good as what I can get out of something like my Axe III. Even with my Deluxe Reverb Tone Master, I've decided to move away from it because the amp itself sounds great, but the direct sound isn't anywhere close to as good as what I hear out of my Axe III. I feel like I'm cheating the audience for my own benefit.

But one thing I haven't tried is this concept of using an amp with an external load/IR. There's this nagging thought in my mind that I could probably get a really great FOH mix by combining an amp with a really good IR to send. And obviously you're getting some great tones out of this kind of setup.

The one concern I have is wondering if there would be a gap between what I'm hearing on stage, and what the audience is hearing FOH if I'm hearing things through the speaker cab, and the audience is hearing an IR... And then I start thinking, for shows where I'm using IEMs I'll be hearing the IR as well... which means there's no point in having a speaker cab... which starts to defeat the whole point and I start thinking I might as well bring my AxeFX instead.

I don't know, so many options out there. I'll probably end up trying one of these RL-IRs one of these days.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I use IEMS and I know I break the cardinal rule, but I'm extremely careful to set my volumes such with one ear in, one out. The IEMs are basically for vocal monitoring first and foremost, then just a bit of band mix.
Sometimes I'll just forgo IEMS altogether unless I'm singing lead and sometimes I'll have both in once I'm extremely confident the entire mix is dialed in completely.
By and large we still have a backline so I'd rather have a real amp then an FRFR backline (which I have used for years).
But honestly, the amp(s) loaded down feel and sound better (to me) direct into the same FRFR. I did extensive testing FM3 vs. SYN-30 -- and that was using the analog cab simulation of the SYN-30, NOT IR's and I still preferred it with no EQ vs. the FM3 tones that took me quite a while to create.

And then of course, when I want to simply just play the damn amp in the room it's right there and that cannot be matched by digital + FRFR.

@randombastage lent me his Captor X so I'm going to put some hours on this today/tonight and see how it goes.

Fat tone79

Silver Supporting Member
I’m running a Kemper through a Mesa 2:90
and 2., 4x12’s. It’s sounds incredible!! I’d like to get the Synergy rack one of these days.
I still use my pedalboards and tube amps but the Kemper through a tube power amp is next level. !!!

Last edited:

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I should mention I'm not ditching modeling completely. Considering the NUX mighty plug, seems cool and sounds on par with a lot of the other more expensive solutions.