• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Tube amps...playing totally dry

Who plays dry?

• totally dry

• Little delay and/or reverb

• dry rhythm, wet solos

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who plays dry? (no delay no reverb)

I like a delay on subtly at all times for a slight ambiance. You can't really hear it during a song, just enough to not be totally dry.

AR-305

Depends entirely on which amp! The Fenders of course I like the reverb. The Marshalls are great dry. The Mark Boogies I dig a little slap/verb or subtle delay on the lead channel.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
In the 90s I played modern rock dry all of the time. These days I just include a little reverb. I never liked reverb and delay drenched stuff.

DaveKS

This and also the context of the song/riff. There is no answer to this ???? as I see it. Only applicable answer that can be given is "Depends".

Depends entirely on which amp! The Fenders of course I like the reverb. The Marshalls are great dry. The Mark Boogies I dig a little slap/verb or subtle delay on the lead channel.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure how to vote. It depends on the amp. I play my Mark IV dry most of the time. The Nomad's clean channel gets just a small touch of reverb. The orange and red channels never do (unless I am just messing around with them at home).

anuj

Gold Supporting Member
All dry all the time. Delay only when it's called for, 'verb never. Let the room take care of the verb.

TheBuffalo

Depends more on where your playing, sometimes a patio or bar doesn't have good acoustics so you need it still. But it's almost always best to use very little reverb in a mix with a drummer and all that

michael.e

For my rock gigs, I use neither live. I use them at times at home for fun. When I practice, I go pretty clean and dry.

ledzep618

I basically never use reverb. If I do it's barely there. I use delay for some solos, but not really all that many.

When I was young I used a bit of reverb with gain tones. Now I find it just buries me on stage and in the mix. I find now a bit of delay will work better for an ambient feel without getting that 'buried' feeling.

Interesting poll results. I've never liked completely dry and I find many guitar players local to me, that play out, mainly run dry most of the time.

Phletch

I like a delay on subtly at all times for a slight ambiance. You can't really hear it during a song, just enough to not be totally dry.
That's pretty much how and why I do it. Usually around 100-150 ms, 2-3 repeats, level significantly lower than the dry signal, just enough to fatten the sound. I look at delay like a chick with make-up: If it's obvious and noticeable, it's too much.

trailrun100s

At home, dry...

Indoor gigs, a little delay for some solos...or wah/phaser...

Outdoor gigs, a little reverb to enhance the bounce/feel of the amp since the sound disappears so quickly, like it's being sucked out of the speakers...

And ultimately, it depends what the song calls for...A totally dry amp doesn't always convey everything I'm hearing in my head or the mood/sound I'm trying to get across to an audience...

And never is my sound ever overwhelmed by any effect...That would just be mud...

Last edited:

Rumors of War

All dry all the time. Delay only when it's called for, 'verb never. Let the room take care of the verb.
That's how I do it. I figure that way my effects are just that...effects. I guess a bit of Reverb or slap all the time might be ok depending on style of music.

That's pretty much how and why I do it. Usually around 100-150 ms, 2-3 repeats, level significantly lower than the dry signal, just enough to fatten the sound. I look at delay like a chick with make-up: If it's obvious and noticeable, it's too much.
lol yep ...I like it more in the 340ms to 360ms range. Like a little bounce back from a back wall.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
If you want delay/rvb to be heard as part of the song, you cannot play dry.
OTOH, rvb/delay is the enemy of clarity. Try playing in a gym.
If it is in your signal it is also blurring the sound. Lots of folks like it.:huh:banana

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Depends on the amp, the song, the style of music. My Vibrolux Reverb is an incredible amp and part of that is the reverb. It's less great without it. My 5E3 clone is also a great amp and doesn't need reverb at all unless I play a song that calls for reverb.

freaksho

another dry vote here. i mean, i do have delay and reverb on my board but i use them very rarely and only as obvious effects.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom