Tube amps that don't cost a fortune.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by p81, Nov 13, 2019.

1. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Came here to post Peavey Classic Series:aok

HeavyCream likes this.
  2. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

The SUPRO BluesKing 12, big smiles, very reasonably priced!

HeavyCream likes this.
  3. cam0122

cam0122 Member

For guitar?

4. cam0122

cam0122 Member

The price and the Soldano affiliation have me taking a serious look at the Jet City combo. However, almost every review I've read on these amps is negative, regarding a loud hum that makes the amp unusable. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

If these amps are good and reliable, then I will reconsider. But reading the negative reviews has me more than a bit spooked.

5. cam0122

cam0122 Member

For me, well under $1000, like well under $500.
    Combo.
    Live gigs, classic rock band, mostly 70s and 80s guitar driven classics. (My Marshall half stack is da'Bomb; but it's HEVVVEEE, and I need a smaller back up rig.)

6. Calebz

Calebz Member

Haven't used a combo, but I have a couple 50w heads. Not the quietest amp ever (think 5150 hiss, but not nearly as bad), but hum isn't an issue.

cam0122 likes this.
  7. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Never heard that complaint. Might just be because they are quite bright, they don't hide any pickup hum if you're using single coils ... although, this amp IMHO is more of a bridge humbucker rock-out amp.

If you find one locally you can check it out. GC Used site also has a 45 day return policy and shipping is usually $30 ... and they will even refund shipping if there is something wrong with the amp.

cam0122 likes this.
  8. cam0122

cam0122 Member

Thanks.
    I currently play through a 50 watt marshall jcm800 half stack.
    I'm looking for a combo rig.

9. CBHTele

CBHTele Supporting Member

It IS a guitar amp - don’t let the name fool you.

FWIW, I just got a used Jet City JC2112 combo for $220 shipped. Excellent condition, and although it’s designed for higher-gain, you can get some nice cleans out of it. Plywood cab, too. Excellent bang fot the buck.

cam0122 likes this.
  10. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

You can find pretty much anything anyone could need, used, for $500-$1000

11. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

Interesting, the OP still has not chimed in to specify his price range but that does nothing to stop the pontification of TGPers...

DV52 likes this.
  12. ht_557

ht_557 Member

I'm gonna suggest a Pignose G40v. It's cheap, it's exactly what you asked for (treble, mids, bass, pre/post volume and a presence knob that could use a bit of attention, maybe a capacitor change), and no frills. You can buy it all day long for under $300 and there's one on ebay going for $225 on bid (wouldn't be my first choice). I got mine for $280 with brand new JJ & sovtek tubes, and most importantly, a Celestion G10 in place of the questionable chinese speaker that came stock. The transformers are a bit weak/flimsy but it does "sag" to some extent at higher volumes, despite the SS diode rectifier. Good luck searching! PS - it's also very lightweight, depending on what speaker you go with (mine is not heavy at all).

13. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Hunt for a 90’s USA made Crate Vintage Club. These sell for cheap but are incredibly reliable and sound great. I’ve done tons of gigs/sessions with a VC2112. One channel, cleans up great with the volume knob on the guitar, lots of gain on hand. Basically a small JCM 800 clone with a bit more preamp gain but with EL84s.

14. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Another suggestion for a pv valveking II 50 watt 1x12. I have one that i gig occasionally and its a very good channel switcher. Full eq for both channels w a gain boost on the dirt channel. Not too heavy. About 40 lbs. the digital reverb is pretty good. I replaced the stock green back copy w a celestion a type. The stock speaker had a brittle upper mid rangy thing that i could never dial out. The amp was discontinued but they are out there used for a decent price. 350 range.

HeavyCream likes this.
  15. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

If I was told I had to play a backline amp and it was a cheaper tube amp, I'd be hoping for a Peavey Classic 30. That 15 was a monster too. And workhorses. And so many shops in major cities can work on them.

Used to own a Fender Hotrod Deluxe. Was ok too. Think it sounded better in a band setting that practice setting. While that PV always sounded good.

16. sleewell

sleewell Member

i got my 5153 for $400.

i would also like to get a peavey xxx, i see them for under $400 all the time.

17. mabinogeon

mabinogeon A really hoopy frood. Silver Supporting Member

Anybody mention that Monoprice 15W amp? Isn't it under $200?

18. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

It's all relative to what you need, what is available used, how quickly you need an amp, etc...

If I had to get an amp today for cheap it would be:
    Fender BLues Jr
    Vox AC15
    Jetcity

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  19. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

it's $249 plus tax and shipping... or just get it from Amazon

mabinogeon likes this.
  20. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith Member

Most of fenders modern offerings. Hotrod Deluxe, BLues Deluxe, Hotrod/blues deville can all be had between 300-500 used

used Deluxe Reverb and Twin reissues can be had from like 500-800 used

Even a real vintage blackface Bandmaster can be found for 500-700 still

Marshall DSLs are also very affordable and sound great

p81 likes this.