Tube amps under 10W for a Strat player

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killa-B, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

New to posting on the forum, but not reading. I like this place, all shapes and sizes are present. Cool forum, thanks everyone.

I am 90% a strat player with the other 10% being on a Hamer Special FM. Is Hamer not the most smoking guitar deal on the planet....oh sorry about that..it just confuses me:confused:

I need, well...want of course, an all tube combo amp along the lines of the class A single ended affair. I am not bound or limited by this though. I just want an amp around 5-7 watts that will make me and others smile when they hear the voice of this small box. Single speaker of course. Here is the way I'll make the decision:

1. tone, mostly with a strat with vintage type singles
    2. build quality
    3. resale value
    4. price
    5. versatility

I mostly play blues--Albert King, Stevie, Hendrix, Otis Rush, etc...

What is the most thunderous, sweet little rig on the planet that will let the strat scream and the girls uhh....dream?

Thanks in advance.

2. cnardone

cnardone Member

it is 10 watts and a combo but man what a sound. Alessandro Beagle 2XEL84 run in Class A. Voxish but beautiful. He also does a similar head with 2 6V6s running at 10 watts. Incredible amps. Build quality second to none. Premium parts, beautiful cabinets. A great deal used when you can find them.

PS I am a little biased. I love mine.

cmn

3. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Mojave Coyote. 12 watts of awesome.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Blackface Fender VibroChamp...

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

Clark Lil Bit LTD

[​IMG]

@ 5-6 watts loaded w/ a 12" Eminence Red Fang, its my "around the house, around the studio" box.

nevermind its a total pedal monger, the cleans just put a smile on my face everytime i plug in. more blackface than tweed, has a glossy rich fendery fatness that's impossible to put down. turn it up, and has that rascally wild midrange 6V6's are known for.

best of all, the volume controls are interactive. so, while plugging into the brite 1 input, and using the brite volume to control your overall volume, turning up the "normal" volume knob actually adds in a background of more low end! makes the amp sound MUCH bigger than it is, and yet wont affect the overall volume.

i have yet to try a few NOS tubes and install that Celestion Blue i've been meaning to put in, but of all the little watt amps i've tried and owned (Carr Mercury, Savage Macht series, Fender Pro Jr., etc.), this is by far the coolest amp.

man, i feel like a broken record... ;)

6. jaclo

jaclo Member

Epiphone has the Valve Junior, 5 watts, around 120.00. I haven't tried it, but it seems like a cool deal. Not hand built, but not 1000 bucks either. Gibson has one also for around 500.00. If you're willing to dish out the jack for the Gibson, then I would seriously consider the Emery Sounds Superbaby head, hand build for around 700.00.

Jac

7. kaseri

kaseri Member

Dr. Z Mini-Z will fit your needs.

8. Wayne

Wayne Member

A Siegmund Midnight Special will do the trick.

[​IMG]

I have one and enjoy it a lot. You can use many different power tube types. My particular favorite is an EL37 but it sounds great with a single 6V6, 6L6 and many more.

Wayne

9. gizmo

gizmo Guest

I recommend a Princeton Reverb. It is 12 watts but it was made with Strats in mind and you also you get the real deal in terms of reverb and trem with it.

If 12 watts is too much, a vibrochamp will do nicely.

10. onemind

onemind Member

Fargen Mini-Plex combo....:D

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

You can still pick up Black Face Fender Vibro - Champs cheaper than most bootique low watters - the difference being that they will go up in value.
    I had Jimmy Somma tune it up and put in a reversible, switchable tone bypass mod. It's a great amp.

If you want a bigger speaker go with the Clark, like Jae's.

Best, Pete

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Man there's lots of cool stuff out there now!

Too add to the list to check out.

Fargen Bastage
    Fuchs Lucky 7

13. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

dont forget the bad cat mini cat or the bad cat mini II

14. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Have not played the new Fuchs Lucky 7. Its a 7 watt head, that I would think is on the high gain side.

I just picked up a Reverend Goblin which is a very portable 6V6 based, single 10" combo. This little wonder is very flexible. You can get some very nice Blackface sounds.

Joe:)

15. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Guest

Is that a Dumble amp in the background?

16. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them comin'

I owned a Bad Cat Mini, and liked it, but it just wasn't me. Great little amp though.

So far, I like:

Mini Z
    Clark Lil bit
    Vibrochamp (I would get into this one and mod the hell outta it)
    Bastage

What I really want is a Kendrick Roughneck with a 10", but they don't make them anymore, and they are rather rare on the bay. These suckers love 6550s.

More please, thanks guys.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

nah, no mumbles here. the diamond cloth is my Fuchs in a custom Bob Burt cab, and the black amp is a friend's Custom Reverb.

Willa-B,

remember, if you're gonna go the Clark route, its the "Lil Bit LTD". the regular Lil Bit has an 8" speaker. the LTD has a 12" speaker.

18. guitarpkr76

guitarpkr76 Guest

Cool, looked kind of similiar.

19. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Thank you sir, the 8" speakers don't do much for me. I would like a combo with at least a 10".

20. rubberbelly

rubberbelly Member

Groove Tubes Soul O Single and THD Univalve. I have owned both and still owns a GT. The GT sounds better.