Tube amps w/ 15" spk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LouRossi, Mar 9, 2006.

1. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I play a touch guitar which has a few bass strings on it so I would like to check out some amps loaded with 15's. I did spot a Rivera M100 used for $1300 & I know about the Fenders but are there some other makers as well?

Thanks
    Lou

2. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Hey Lou - The Rivera is a killer amp and gives lots of options. 15's aren't seemingly popular and I've always loved the real thump and dimension available via the larger speaker. Can't really distort them much, so lots of guys don't consider them.

Look at Fender Pros too.

Jet

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A fairly new one from Victoria with a 15"er is the Regal. Seems really well conceived. Jonesin for one myself. Not cheap, but high on the cool scale. AC

4. -kk-

-kk- Member

I play a mesa blue angel through a weber 1x15"... awesome setup for blues and rock.

5. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Victoria makes 3-4 amps with a 15. A tweed Fender Pro replica, the Regal (15 watts, trem and verb) the Victorilux (35 watts, trem and verb--I have one) and I think the trem de la trem as well.

An Esquire through that 15 is the fattest tele tone around, imho.

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

Peavey Delta Blues comes with a 15" Eminence speaker. Very inexpensive and can get some very good tones.

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I love my Carr Rambler 15!

8. markhan

markhan Member

In the price range of the Rivera you mentioned, you should have some options. You can custom order an Anderson amp with whatever speaker you want. I personally haven't played one, but some folks around here (Pacific Northwest, where they're made) like them. Trying one is on my list of things to do, as I may be looking for a new amp in the near future.

I think a 15" works well for Strat power trio kind of stuff, like Hendrix & SRV.

Mark Hanson

http://www.andersonamps.com/

9. SLG

SLG Member

A used Sewell Wampus Cat 15 is a great all tube, 15 inch combo that can be had for under $1300.

10. DGG

DGG Member

11. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I Had And Sold A Fender 64 Vibroverb Custom. Kind Of A One Trick Pony, Did The Srv Thing Well, But Had A Treble Bite That Could Rip Your Head Off. Plus It Was Very Loud When Turned Up Enough For The Really Good Tones To Come Out. Kept Waiting For A Brown Soun To Do A 15" Tone Tubby To Mellow It Out But They Haven't Perfected It Yet. So.... Down The Road It Went. That Whole 15" Thing Is Different, In A Good Kind Of Way.

12. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

I prefer heads and small cabs to combos. Find the amp you want, make or buy a 1x15 cab and throw a 15" in it. I'd start with weber. Great service and vast selection. Shoot Ted an e-mail (I bet a Michigan 15" would be amazing [I know my mich 10" can handle anything I throw at it and still sound amazing with my rig]). good hunting old chap.