Tube buzz/rattle in Jcm800, others

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vintage66, Mar 14, 2008.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

My Jcm800 combo's tube or tubes are rattling-I bought some tube retainers that were missing and it seemed to add to the problem by rattling/buzzing too. The won't stay centered on the tubes-they slide to the edge and the springs buzz. Some of it is helped when I push up on the tubes but don't some tubes buzz internally? I've heard several Peaveys do this in the store when they were new and today played a boutique Fender-style combo that was doing it-no spring retainers. How common is it for it to be the tube itself that needs replacing? Any Jcm800-specific tips?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I'd probably get a new set of tubes(perhaps a different brand if yours are fairly new) and use some of those retainers that clasp the base instead. Ive heard of guys putting heat shrink tubing on the springs to keep them from rattling but I think I'd try different tubes instead. Bob

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea about the retainers that grasp the base-my Boogie used to have those. I don't know if they make them for Marshalls-anyone know? The tubes are fairly new I think-Groove Tubes. I'm going by what the previous owner said though so I can't be sure.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I wonder if I cut some cloth to go under the tube and kind of wrap it around the springs if that would be a fire hazard or would it work? Not covering the whole tube, just where it touches metal.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Try and reseat the tubes make sure they are sitting in the socket tightly also check how well the speaker is mounted, I've had the same Issues and reseated all my tubes and tightened the screws to my speaker as well as other chassis screws and so far its working fine.