tube choices for a h+k duotone EL 34's

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by twangbanger, Aug 26, 2006.

1. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Hi, A good friend of mine has an h+k 100 watt duotone tube amp w/ el 34's. He plays heavier music looking for a EVH meets Stevie Stevens tone. I had originally recommended the SED winged C el 34's. But after reading some reviews wonder if they might be too clean, I use them in my shiva w/ great results but I'm into more classic rock and country. Anyone w/ suggestions please chime in! Thanks Rob

2. twangbanger

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Changing the brand of EL34 tubes in an H+K Duotone isn't going to give him enough of a sound/gain difference....FWIW, I'd put all electro harmonix 12AX7's in it...more pre amp gain..not a ton, but more than what JJ's or Sovtek's put out...Then I'd recommend a pedal...The Menatone. King of the Britians ,,,Eternity////no, not enough OD....a Fulltone OCD would do it also...

4. twangbanger

thanks for your input Rod, I already have some EH 12ax7's and some of the tung-sol reissues. Think I'll give them both a whirl. He seems to think that his power tubes have definately weakened ,he says he runs the amp hard. I happen to have a eternity on my pedalboard I'll let him try it but it might spoil him. I don't know what he uses for dirt pedals if any. Rob

5. papersoul

papersoul Member

Do you still have the Duotone? I was looking at various amps, Carvin V3, Marshall DSL, Mesa and now the Duotone. The Triamp seems too much.

I was thinking a Duotone with a boost pedal like the Tube Factor. We play heavy music.

6. Radiophonicus

Radiophonicus Member

The Winged C's will definitely make a difference. I had some Groove Tubes in my Marshall, swapped them out for the Winged C's and the improvement was vast.

7. papersoul

papersoul Member

8. cfdude

cfdude Member

I have JJ's in mine. They really sound good. This amp is already bright, JJ's just make it sound richer and warmer.

9. papersoul

papersoul Member

The H&K is bright? Hopefully the Rivera is not as bright.