Tube Combo - practice/small gig/Billy Squier tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Blazing Apostle, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Blazing Apostle

Blazing Apostle Member

Hello Folks - Recently got back into playing (I am 48 years old) and feel like I am ready to start playing with others again and need to go beyond my beginner practice amp. Looks like there are a ton of options for 15W to 30W combos. If anybody remembers Billy Squier's Don't Say Know (Lonely is the Night, the Stroke, etc) album I am looking for that classic rock tone that is not really distorted, but almost more of a dirty sustain.

Any recommendations? Thanks for any input.

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Germino Masonette

Reinhardt 18

3. ami_vienna

ami_vienna Member

Billy used a Strat into plexi's.
    For your description, I would recommend a Reeves custom 18. Great Marshall sound, very versatile and with Power scaling.

4. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Any Marshall amp set fairly clean will do. I nailed those tones (early Foreigner too) with a JCM 50 watt 1X12 combo. Not hard.

5. Blazing Apostle

Blazing Apostle Member

The reeves custom 18 looks like a great recommendation. Do they ever turn up in the used market? I was hoping to keep my spend to $1K if possible.

A friend mentioned the Budda Super Drive 18. I see them going for just under $1K on ebay. Any thoughts on that puppy?

6. juniorhifikit

juniorhifikit Member

I spoke with him a few times, and he told me it was mostly a Tele into a Plexi:aok Either way - great tone.

The Tweaker should get you there. But if you get a small amp, get a BIG cabinet to give those single coils some bottom :dude

7. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Laney Lionheart Series. Try the 5-watt L5T and you will be surprised. It's got enough volume and headroom for jamming, and the tone is awesome. It doesn't do ultra high gain at all, but can mimic the cranked Plexi sound that you are looking for. It also has a great clean channel and spring reverb. Extremely well built, with wonderful classic British sounds. If you really need more power, they make 20 watt and 50 watt versions as well.

8. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Fargen MiniPlex Mark II