Tube converters...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tedwoods, Aug 18, 2006.

1. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I've recently tried an Electrosonic tube converter that allowed a 6SL7 to be placed in a 12AX7 spot.I had previously tried a similar BadCat product that allowed a 12AX7 to be placed in an EF86 spot.
    I generally find the idea interesting whithin certain operational constraints.
    It would open up a world of possibilities.
    Some interesting converters would be:
    1.5879 to EF86 and vice versa
    2.GZ34 to EZ81 ...................
    I'm sure there are others you can think of.
    So,can this be done?If so, could somebody engineer those?I'd be glad to purchase them and give them a try.

Ted

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Not sure about #2 because the heater voltages and current limitations are so different. Don't know enough about #1 without digging into specs.

Would you be glad to buy about 250 of each to, possibly, cover development time and materials? ;)

3. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

...um...ehh...well,on second thought it might not be such a good idea(hehe)!
    At least,I've tried...

Ted

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

:eek: Yeah, people often forget that research and development isn't cheap, at least when done by people who like living under a roof:)

5. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The two products I've mentioned were professional ones.I was just thinking,propably a bit naively,that it could also be done in an "experimental" sort of way...
    I was eager to put this idea down here on this board,where a lot of ingenious people hang out,mainly at the hope of someone stepping out to say:"hey that sounds interesting!So if I connect that wire to that cap....e.t.c",so maybe in the long term something worthwhile would come out.
    Another thing that promted me was that both companies are small scale boutiquers and they're propably not selling these converters by the dozen but anyway there are certainly real life economics to be considered for sure.
    It was a nice thought while it lasted...

Ted

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

You may get lucky. Someone who's already familiar and experienced with the physical part (very important, it's not as easy as it looks to make something like this to be reliable) could take this on as long as the electrical conversion part is within reason.

You'll always get the technically astute types who have no business skills (just look at all the great boutiquey guitar gadget guys who seem to vanish from the earth on an annual basis. "What? You mean I have to pay 50% in taxes? That means I worked 80 hour weeks for minimum wage!") to jump in and say how easy it would be to do something like this.

For guys like me, unless there's some serious sales potential, I just can't get my mortgage company to "pardon" me for a few months while I work on something like this. ;)

7. MarkAdam

MarkAdam Member

8. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Thanks for the heads up Mark!I wasn't aware of that one.

Ted