Tube Cube or Little Sucker Attenuators: Anybody try them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dorfmeister, Feb 15, 2009.

1. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I realize there are many posts dealing with attenuators; however, I am curious about these two fairly inexpensive attenuators on e-bay. Does anyone have experience with either of them? How do they stack up against the THD and Weber models.

Not interested in the Ultimate or the Ho as they are too expensive. Looking to get on of these a Weber or a used Hotplate 8 ohm.

Tube Cube:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Tube-Amp...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Picture:

[​IMG]

Little Sucker:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-LITTLE-SUCK...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

[​IMG]

2. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I'm mainly looking for something to serve as a load for a Radial JDX Reactor Direct Box so that I can do some silent recording with a low wattage tube amp.

http://www.radialeng.com/re-jdx.htm

3. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

4. Clear Guy

Clear Guy Member

I am interested as well. Does any have any experience with ether of these?

5. clintb

clintb Member

I just bought one of the "Little Sucker" attenuators. So I don't have too much experience with it yet. I used to own a Weber Micromass attenuator (an older model, not the newer ones with low-mid and mid-hi volume controls). So I will compare the two.

The "Little Sucker" is way more transparent than the Weber Micromass. Even at the least amount of attenuation, the Weber Micromass muffled the tone. I don't really notice any muffling effects from the "Little Sucker" except at real high attenuation. But at that point I think that's just due to the fact that you don't hear highs and lows as well at low volumes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves). That doesn't bug me since at that point the volume is lower than I want anyways.

However, I don't notice any attenuating affect for most of the dial's range. For example, if we say the dial turns from 7:00 (highest attenuation, lowest volume, actually it's silent) to 5:00 (lowest attenuation, highest volume), I only notice the volume lowering when dialing down from about 9:00 to 7:00.

If I remember correctly, the weber micromass behaved somewhat similarly in the fact that most of the attenuation was done in only one quarter of the dial's range. But you could at least detect some attenuation throughout the entire range of the dial.

I'll have to experiment some more with the Little Sucker attenuator.

6. clintb

clintb Member

Played around with the "Little Sucker" again tonight. Actually, I guess you can hear the volume drop when dialing down from about 5:00 to 4:00. But to me, it seems like the volume really doesn't change that much when you dial down from 4:00 to around 9:00.

7. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

Is The Little Sucker (what for a name) a real power attenuator? at this price I doubt it, probably one of those "phoney" volume attenuators described in the Tube Cube attenuator guide, that you're supposed to use in your effects loop.

8. tansallman

tansallman Member

It's a real attenuator in that it works between the power amp and the speaker. It's an L-Pad, so it's an unsophisticated device. But it's a real attenuator. I have one and I am surprised to say that it works quite well.

9. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

I just got the Tube Cube, it really does the job and sounds quite good even at bedroom volume.