Tube Disposal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrfinder, Jun 17, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

You know I'm sure this seems like a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask.
    When you remove tubes from your amp how do you dispose of them? (I'm assuming they dont contain mercury)
    Do you just throw them away, and are there any hazards to this? Is there someplace that recycles them?

2. hogy

hogy Member

There are very few tubes (certain rectifiers) that contain mercury, none of the currently produced ones though.

I applaud you for thinking about this. It bugs me to no end to have to throw all these precious raw materials away. Tubes, old guitar strings, copper wire cutoffs. I run an amp business and a guitar repair shop, that's quite a bit of trash that shouldn't be trash. There's no recycling for these things in my city as far as I know.

I read an article somewhere that claimed we're already past "peak copper", meaning more copper has been extracted from the earth than remains unexploited and we throw transformers away when they go bad.

It's stupid (but not your question).

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

You guys should see how many scraped power tools get put in land fills, it sickens me to see all this waste. There are companies out there now who buy the shredded tools and are able to extract the materials they desire. I'd like to see this technology in action.

4. mike80

mike80 Member

When I see a power tool in the dumpster at work, I'll usually grab it. Sometimes it's a simple fix like a power cord, sometimes it's a burnt contact inside the handle or something. If nothing else, it's parts. I'm a pack rat I guess you could say.

When I remove a tube, I usually keep it around for a backup just in case, unless it's obviously bad. I have only thrown away a handful of tubes. They get put in a stash that's stored away.

5. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

hires guys to dig them out of the land fills and re-labels them!:banana

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Zing!

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Weve got a scrap metal place not too far from where I work. You can bring various types of scrap metal there and they will pay you for it. Brought 4 old aluminum rims there and got 60$ for them. If its mixed metal they give you a lot less but they still pay you for it. I never throw away my old metal.;)

8. Flux

Flux Member

Many cities have electronic recycling depots these days (mostly for computer stuff) I save my old parts and batteries for the recyclers. Don't have one in your town? Maybe you should give City Hall a call...