Tube Driver Clone?

Is there a company that clones the Tube Driver? I know of the Dover Drive and I’m considering it but I’m curious if there are any other clones that are currently made out there that also use a tube?

Thanks!

glenecho

Silver Supporting Member
No tube in it, but the MXR FET Driver is supposedly related to that circuit, with FETs in place of the tube. I can nail my favorite Tube Driver tones with it. True sleeper pedal.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. I have an actual Butler Tube Driver but it would be nice to check out the MXR as the Butler is just plain huge and takes up a ton of space.

Warm Socks

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. I have an actual Butler Tube Driver but it would be nice to check out the MXR as the Butler is just plain huge and takes up a ton of space.

I might actually get this one used! There seems to be quite a few up on Reverb.

It's definitely worth a try at the prices it's typically going for used. Someone said this in another thread a while back, but I've found that the key to getting good TD type tones out of the FET Driver is engaging the high cut and setting the EQ knobs, especially the bass knob, pretty low.

I'd like to pick up a TD-Y and compare it to the MXR at some point. Never played one, but I hear more clarity at lower gain settings in the PastFx clips. The MXR is fuzzier and unrulier.

nastynate

I might actually get this one used! There seems to be quite a few up on Reverb.
There are a couple different versions of the MXR FET Driver out there. The black Bonamassa version has a full sized JRC4558 chips and people say it has more clarity and is a bit smoother. The blue Bonamassa version is the same circuit board as the standard white production model. Never played the black one, but the blue and white models sound identical (I ended up with the blue one for looks).

There are a couple different versions of the MXR FET Driver out there. The black Bonamassa version has a full sized JRC4558 chips and people say it has more clarity and is a bit smoother. The blue Bonamassa version is the same circuit board as the standard white production model. Never played the black one, but the blue and white models sound identical (I ended up with the blue one for looks).

Thanks for this bit of info! I guess that’s why the JB version is basically $200 used, and the white version is $100-$150 used. I might need to save up for the JB version. It will match the rest of my board!

crazymahler

Gold Supporting Member
The closest I ever got to a Tube Driver is a BD-2 Blues Driver.
At medium to high gain they’re pretty close, and I think the BD-2 low gain sound is better.
And if you like guitar volume cleanup, the BD-2 is way better.
But the Tube Driver is awesome, and there’s no pedal I’ve found that is exactly like it.

eriwebnerr

I dont know if any that have a tube in it. Hagerman makes the Reactivator which has a tube at low voltage and can definitely cop Tube Driver type tones but its overall less compressed and more raw and open sounding. The BD-2 or the Past FX are your best bet if you really have to have the Tube Driver in pedal board friendly format

Top Bottom