Tube experiences with the Super Sonic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wheelbarrow, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

I thought I'd start a thread to see what kind of experiences people have had retubing their supersonics.

I've got a 1x12 combo. I put one of the groove tubes 12ax7 mullards in slot 1, it seemed to give the OD channel a harsher and edgier sound. Not sure if I like it yet.

I also put an EH 12au7 in slot 2, which works wonders for headroom on the clean channel.

Next up: replace the rest of the pre's and put some kt66's in the power section!

What kind of luck have all you folks had with retubing so far?

2. Ascension

Ascension Member

I had a NOS late 50's long plate Mullard in V-1 + NOS 80's production Chinese Shunghangs. That combo worked well but if you want it a little darker and smoother you can go with a couple of JJ ECC 83's. I loved the tones on first of the GT 12AX7 Mullards I got but they all failed within 6 months.
    Now the New Sensor Mullard 12AX7's I tried sounded really good in V-1 on those amps.
    The Phase inverters you use on a Super-Sonic is CRITICAL if the amps are going to be quiet. I would look at a ballanced version of the NOS Mullard 12AT7's that guys like Dougs Tubes are selling. That is what wound up in mine, the stock Sovetecs and also the JJ's I tried added a lot of hiss but the Mullard was quiet.
    I had a set of Tungsol 5881's in mine for a while but went to a pair of JJ 6L6's I had on hand. The JJ's had more sparkle and life to my ear. I keep a couple of sets of those around as the JJ 6L6's are one of the few new production 6L6's that will live in my Prosonic's ( I own 3) for any length of time running the Class A mode.
    Those are great amps once you get them dialed in.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes- Im using a Sylvania BP 12AU7 in the clean channel too. Much better fit than a 12AX7 IMO. You can turn the volume knob up past 1 without getting your head blown off! Definately recommended.

Using SED 6L6's for power tubes. Last night I put some long plate GE's in the V1 and V3 to get a bit more "hair" out of the OD channel. Them have a fairly smooth top end too. Havent used it enough to say if I like them permenantly yet. Bob

4. shakerAU

shakerAU Member

Question about tubes.........
    Did a gig tonight with my super-sonic, amp sounded great at the start of the night but as the night progressed started sounded gritty and slightly distorted (clean channel).
    Would this be down to the 6L6's?

5. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

This amp is gained up the whazoo...

I put 5751's in:

V2 (clean channel)
    V3 (burn channel)

as well as Tung-Sol RI 12AX7s in every other AX7 slot, and JAN Phillips 12AT7s in both AT7 spots. I actually prefer a 5751 as the PI as well, but I currently only have (2) 5751's, so I'm using them in V2 & V3.

I also just put in TAD 6L6WGCs, and they sound good, altho surprisingly, not much better than the Groove Tubes (Sovteks) that were in there. I checked the bias, factory recc was 31-33mA, mine was at 29mA. Went ahead & set it at 32mA to get it in the factory "zone", but I really don't hear much of a difference.

Thye 5751s made pretty huge differences in TONE, IMHO.

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

FYI: Supersonic Tube assignments:

V1 –12AX7- V1A is the input stage, V1B is the first gain stage of the drive channel (between gain1 and gain2)

V2 -12AX7- Used in the Clean channel. V2A is the usual BF-type post tonestack/volume stage. after that, there is the preshaping filter (part of the Vibrolux/Bassman-switching) followed by V2B as a buffer stage

V3 -12AX7- Used in the Burn channel as second (V3A) and third (V3B) gain stage, followed by the tone stack and master volume

V4 -12AX7- V4A is a buffer stage after the switching relay between clean and burn. V4B is the effects loop send buffer stage

V5 -12AX7-Effects Loop - V5A is the effects loop return buffer stage, V5B is the reverb mixer stage

V6 12AT7 Phase Inverter

V7 6L6GC Power Section
    V8 6L6GC Power Section

V9 12AT7 - Reverb send stage

V10 12AX7 - Reverb makeup/buffer