Tube Experts -gotta question for ya

dewman

What preamp and poweramp tubes (nos or current production) will add more mids to an amp. Currently there are jj's 6v6s in the power section and eh tubes in the preamp section. I'd like the amp to have richer mids to cut through a band mix unmiked. Are there specific qualities to certain 6v6s and brands of preamp 12ax7 and 12 ay7s?

riffmeister

Ei 12AX7 is rich through the spectrum. JJ's have a bit more bottom than normal 6V6's, so you might want to switch to an NOS like Brimar or RCA for a leaner sound with more cut.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
Ei 12AX7 is rich through the spectrum. JJ's have a bit more bottom than normal 6V6's, so you might want to switch to an NOS like Brimar or RCA for a leaner sound with more cut.
I found the JJ's to be a darker sounding tube as well. Anything I used other than JJ's gave me more mids. (Less bottom end). ymmv

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Just took the JJ's out of my Clark Beaufort and put Groove Tubes I had laying around in it.

The amp's lows decreased somewhat and my highs sure improved.
I don't think the mids increased but the lows reduced made the mids more noticable.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
I'd like the amp to have richer mids to cut through a band mix unmiked. Are there specific qualities to certain 6v6s and brands of preamp 12ax7 and 12 ay7s?
Richer mids usually means low-mids, to me. But I'm wondering - which mids do you want to emphasize?

Mullard 12AX7A (from the '60s) are very mid-rich, with lots of low-mid content, and lots of harmonic overtone. So rich, I actually don't like them in any of my amps. I would like them in high-overdrive amps, best, but I actually prefer RFT ECC83, which are very mid-rich (restricted frequency response in lows and highs leaves rich mids) - one of my favorites for "high gain" but you sacrifice the clarity when played clean. Short-plate Valvo 12AX7A (1960 I60 type) are my favorite short-plate 12AX7 to balance the mid-rich while overdriven and pristine chimey clarity while clean. Of course, I could describe some long-plate options, which may be more prone to microphonics. If upper-mids are your thing, and you want reduced lows, try a Raytheon long black-plate (halo-getter are less expensive) - it will truly cut through.

12AY7 are easy - nothing comes close to early-'50s GE black box-plate 12AY7 (sometimes labeled "Ken-Rad"). Period. The gray box-plate are a little less lively and raw, but still very, very good. GE black-plate 3-mica 6072 are more smooth, if that's what you're after. But the black box-plates will cut through better.

6V6: Ken-Rad 6V6G or 6V6GT/G are my fav first, followed closely by Tung-Sol (NOS - not the New Sensor brand distraction) 6V6G or 6V6GT/G. RCA black-plate are more smooth and creamy, so maybe that's what you'd mean by "mid" - but the Ken-Rad and Tung-Sol will cut through better.

Does that help?

- Thom

dewman

Yes I am talking about low mids- Just something to consider when trying to make a blackface style amp cut through more and become more harmonically rich, on the cheap....so to speak, rather than introduce circuit mods.

Richer mids usually means low-mids, to me. But I'm wondering - which mids do you want to emphasize?

Mullard 12AX7A (from the '60s) are very mid-rich, with lots of low-mid content, and lots of harmonic overtone. So rich, I actually don't like them in any of my amps. I would like them in high-overdrive amps, best, but I actually prefer RFT ECC83, which are very mid-rich (restricted frequency response in lows and highs leaves rich mids) - one of my favorites for "high gain" but you sacrifice the clarity when played clean. Short-plate Valvo 12AX7A (1960 I60 type) are my favorite short-plate 12AX7 to balance the mid-rich while overdriven and pristine chimey clarity while clean. Of course, I could describe some long-plate options, which may be more prone to microphonics. If upper-mids are your thing, and you want reduced lows, try a Raytheon long black-plate (halo-getter are less expensive) - it will truly cut through.

12AY7 are easy - nothing comes close to early-'50s GE black box-plate 12AY7 (sometimes labeled "Ken-Rad"). Period. The gray box-plate are a little less lively and raw, but still very, very good. GE black-plate 3-mica 6072 are more smooth, if that's what you're after. But the black box-plates will cut through better.

6V6: Ken-Rad 6V6G or 6V6GT/G are my fav first, followed closely by Tung-Sol (NOS - not the New Sensor brand distraction) 6V6G or 6V6GT/G. RCA black-plate are more smooth and creamy, so maybe that's what you'd mean by "mid" - but the Ken-Rad and Tung-Sol will cut through better.

Does that help?

- Thom

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Yes I am talking about low mids- Just something to consider when trying to make a blackface style amp cut through more and become more harmonically rich, on the cheap....so to speak, rather than introduce circuit mods.
Not exactly on the cheap, in terms of tube pricing, but a late-'50s long-plate Mullard 12AX7 will deliver low mids, clarity, and cut through supremely - like no other. Well, long-plate Valvo 12AX7 are quite magnificent, too. Both are very expensive.

The short-plate Valvo (I60 code, from 1960) ECC83 will cost you a little less, and will truly satisfy for low-mids, clarity, and chime, and has the Philips short-plate harmonic overtone signature. Any of the Philips family short-plate 12AX7A (Amperex/Miniwatt, Siemens, Mullard, Valvo) will have more harmonic-rich content and mids than the short-plate RCA 12AX7A.

Check out that black box-plate GE 12AY7 sometime - it is magic.

- Thom

Trending Topics