1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Tube Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CRAIG4FSU, May 22, 2011.

1. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

I have a Fender deluxe VM combo with 2 x 12AX7 in preamp & 2 x 6L6 in power tubes.It has a 1-12" Celestion G12P-80, 8 Ohm Speaker.I tried it just pushing a Celestion V30 in a closed back Avatar ext cab.Same result so i'm convined it's the tubes.

My problem is that i feel like there's a blanket over this thing and it's driving me nuts.Tried tons of different settings and a Boss GE7 EQ pedal through the loop and in front.The clarity and mid punch is lacking.

I want to like this amp for the simplicity and features of grab & go/combo set up,but surely this thing is capable of sounding better?

I know i'll have to have it re-biased,but i'm willing to spend the $ if you guys can give some good brand/type tube ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

"Mork calling Orson,come in Orson"

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What brands of tubes are in the amp now and how old are they? If they're new you may get more mileage with a speaker swap or using an open back cab.

4. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

it could be the amp internally. I had one when they first came out and it was pretty bright.

5. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

If it isn't the speaker or tubes it is something else - sounds like you need an amp tech.