1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice
  1. mmorse

mmorse Member

Anybody know what tube this is? Someone on th PP forum says it's probably of Japanese origin. It has a Hammond label and says Gt Britain but it's not a Mullard.

[​IMG]

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I looked thru my Japan stash of tubes. Nothing "exactly" like it....no etchings I presume?

3. Trout

Trout Member

I have a large hoard of Hammond 12AX7's that are all Mullards, Look closely around the bottom portion of the tube for an numbers & letters etched into the glass. Sometimes it is very hard to see or read them. Often you need to hold them just right.

All the Hammonds organ tubes I have had both 12AX7's and several 12AU7's , The AU's were RCA labeled Hammond.

I also have some RCA 12AX7's that are actually Mullards labeled for RCA. Zeniths that are actually Amperexes. These tube labels are as crazy as Street vendors selling gucci handbags near union station!! :jo

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

There are no etched date codes. There is a printed code but the only numbers I can make out are 102. The plates are different than any shortplate Mullards I've ever seen. I have some Hammond labeled Mullards with Blackburn etched codes and the plates in those are different than this one.

I got three more Hammond labeled tubes from the same guy and those tubes have the same plates as a Mullard but no etched codes. They also have angled getters. They could be Heerlen production Mullards. I just can't figure out what this one is. :(

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

The Heerlens look (as far as I see) identical in construction to Blackburn Mullards. Ive got some very early 1959 short plate Mullards(and some eary 60's) and Heerlen Bulge Boys and later Heerlen made Amperex(early seventies?)and if they didnt have etch codes I wouldnt be able to pick them apart.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What Rockon said. That's not a Philips (parent company of Mullard, Amperex and others) tube.

7. mmorse

mmorse Member

I know what it's not. The Heerlen reference are to some other tubes I got from the same source.

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Japanese Matsushita (Panasonic) 12AX7A have circular getter wires mounted at an angle. That'd be my guess. The only other production wih angled-getters was from West German Valvo, but they'd have the etch codes to show it.

How do you like their performance?

Well, if they are Matsushita, they were made under direction of the Philips company, with rumored ties to Mullard technical supervision. Some Matsushita had the Philips codes (second line beginning with "N" or "n" depending on which of the two facilities they originated from), but, for some reason, some did not.

- Thom

9. mmorse

mmorse Member

Guys, I'm not talking about the angled getter Hammonds I got from the guy. I'm talking about the one pictured in my first post. That does not have an angled getter. And it's plate structure is different than a Mullard as you can see.

I got 5 Hammond labeled tubes from the guy. Two of them are like the one pictured. The other three (not pictured) have the correct Mullard style plates and angled getters. Sorry if I've confused anyone.

10. Timbre Wolf

Can you post closer pictures from a couple of angles? That'd help.

- T

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK I just went thru my Japanese stash again and found this one . Looks just like it I think. Has Japan etched in it too.[​IMG]

12. mmorse

mmorse Member

Rockon1, that looks like the tube. What is that tube?

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well its branded LaFayette. I wonder if it the old Lafayette electronics chain? It has 9-10 silk screened on it and [12AX7] Japan J2 etched into it-thats it.

14. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

possibly Hitachi (guessing)

15. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The Japanese/Mullard tubes I've seen look ALMOST identical to Mullards except for one small detail.

16. Timbre Wolf

Yeah, you're right about the Matsushita (do you call that a Japanese Mullard? There's a sales term I haven't yet heard) looking like a Mullard inside. I was just going off the description of the angled getter wire, which is characteristic of Matsushita (or Valvo).

- Thom

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The angled getter is one tip off. No, that's now what I call it...it was convenient to list it that way for this thread.

18. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

looked at my two Hitachis and both the 1st and 2nd pic tubes appear to be Hitachi. Same plates, red leads, same etched writing as on the second tube. I have two Hitachis, a grey plate and blk. plate. The grey plate looks the same except for the tip, which is more extended. The blk. plate hitachi looks like a Raytheon, but the tip on it is smaller and looks more like the 1st pic tube (the tip on the 1st tube reminds me of a Shuguang 12AX7 tip). One of the things noticeable to me about the Hitachi is the lack of definition of the plates. There is also a number between pins 1 and 9, plus some green marking.

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well that sounds like the tube I posted(second picture) There is a noticable lack of definition on the ribbing of the plates.

20. mmorse

mmorse Member

I noticed the lack of definition also in my tube. Although the pic shows it as more defined than it really is. Plus there are only 2 ribs, not three. Looks like it's an Hitachi. It's not a bad sounding tube. But it's no Mullard.

I'll post a pic of the angled getter tubes I got from the same guy when I get a chance.