Tube in Amp Glowing. why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by presvis20, Feb 18, 2012.

1. presvis20

presvis20 Member

Hi
    My h&k statesman makes a weird microphonic noise and when i saw the tubes one of them is acting weird. Why , some pointers please. And if i change the tubes how can i bias my amp?

2. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Supporting Member

Can you be a bit more specific. How is it acting weirdly and which tube is it? Is it a power tube or peamp tube?

3. presvis20

presvis20 Member

Its a quad el84 amp. And one of the power amp tubes is over glowing making a weird noise.

4. presvis20

presvis20 Member

I should change all the tubes right? not just the one.

5. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Supporting Member

The first thing I would do is swap the weird acting tube with one of the other ones. If the tube is still acting strangely when moved to a different position then you know that it is a faulty tube. If the weird glow stays in the same position and does not follow with the tube then the amp has a fault. Assuming it is the tubes then yes I would recommend getting a matched quad and replacing all of them. The Statesman does have easily accessible biasing points and bias trimeer (I just looked at the manual) so I would do the biasing myself, but if you are not comfortable you need to take it in.

6. presvis20

presvis20 Member

ok man thank you. What happens if i dont bias the amp? And how do you bias the amp exactly? I just bought the amp and i have any money left so..... especially if i take the amp to a technician...

7. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

8. JoeP

JoeP Member

EL 84 you don't have to bias. Just change them and your set, if it's tube problems that are giving you the trouble.

9. PlinytheWelder

PlinytheWelder Member

The H&K Statesman seem to have external bias pots and measuring points (a good idea IMO) so it should be easily biased with a DMM.

A lot of EL84 amps are cathode biased and you can just dump new tubes in, but not this one.

10. ken374

ken374 Member

sounds like red plating, change tube