Tube Microphone Help

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Bobo Fret, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking to get a tube mic and I wondered if anyone has experience with SE Electronics mics. Specifically the Z5600a. Samash has 'em for about $800. Chinese made under their own name (a first I read, for a Chinese made mic). Very well reviewed from the few reviews on the net I read. Whaddya think? I'm a little hesitant to buy a Chinese mic and the price point also seems dubious.

I have a couple good solid state mics already and I ain't spending the sick amount of money that many tube mics cost--biggest scam going if you ask me.

Also looking at Peluso mics, Charter Oak mics, Rode Classic II.

2. elambo

elambo Member

One of the best mics you can buy, regardless of price, is a Peluso. I had a 22-47 then sold it to get a 22-47LE and BOTH were amazing. I also have 2 of the real originals that all these mics are patterned after (U47s with the best tube - VF14) and there were many times where the Peluso sounded even better than the 47. I can't offer a stronger recommendation.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've also heard good things about the Peluso.

If you're looking for something that's voiced brighter, you may want to check out a used RODE Classic. We've got one and it really excels at certain things.

Loudboy

4. Damon

Damon Member

I just picked up a Rode K2, because I was impressed with one I had in for a tube replacement. Swapped in a goldpin Siemens E88CC and it got noticeably better. Versatile (adjustable polar patterns), natural and lifelike presentation overall, nice warm proximity effect in cardioid, very low self noise, and not too expensive.

5. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

thanks for the input guys

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

another mic looking at is the groove tubes GT67.
    it's a really great all tube mic w/ selectable polar patterns and it's street price is right in the area U are lookin' at.
    a wonderful mic.

7. muddy

muddy Member

got the peluso 47le m'self a coupla months ago from nathan at atlas in fla. it's a VERY hard mic (vocal) to beat for the price! though about the charter oak for a sec, but i'm very happy with the peluso. the adk "commemorative edition" toob mic is supposed to be great, as well...

ml

8. elambo

elambo Member

I'd say it's an "impossible" mic to beat for the price and a hard mic to beat at any other price.

9. EVT

EVT Member

Hi,

Based on what I've heard from others I'd also say Peluso is the way to go. i wish i had one!

evt

10. HammyD

HammyD Member

I have not used an SE but they have a loaner program that permits you to try out the mic for a week. Check their site and look for the US distributor. I emailed and got back a quick and very informative response.When I told him what I was looking for, a mic for voice overs, he suggested a less expemsive mic and actually gave me references and suggested I contact an actual user for his opinion. (Sorry all his info os on another computer at work, otherwise I supply a contact name and e-mail.)

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>another mic looking at is the groove tubes GT67.
    it's a really great all tube mic w/ selectable polar patterns and it's street price is right in the area U are lookin' at.
    a wonderful mic.<<

Seconded.

I often choose this mic over more expensive mics in my studio.

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Short of buying a Peluso mic, you can buy an imported tube mic for around $200 (Apex 460, Nady 1150, ect. all used the same basic mic). Ebay might be a good source as you can find them rebranded with lesser known names for lower prices. Change the 12ax7 to a 6072, swap the transformer for a Cinemag, Jensen or Lindahl and buy a capsule from Peluso. Upgrade components in the signal path while you're at it. In the end, it should cost you around $500- $700. It's not for everyone but if you do this, you'll end up with a handmade mic that's as good as any out there and you can hear the changes at each phase of the build up.

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

at risk of sounding like a harpy....
    th GT67 is a really good mic and extremely consistent from mic to mic (U won't find that in the SE mic U were looking at) and a stereo pair can be had by asking for concurrent serial numbers (no extra charge). they are voiced by über tube guru, aspen pittman, which is probably why they are so nice.
    i have a stereo pair of telefunken U47s and they are, indeed, very nice mics but not suitable for every purpose. they are rather 'colourful' mics and i would say that the GT67 is a more neutral mic and probably more useful in a wider range of applications. this is a $600 mic compared to a multi thousand $$$ vintage, hand tuned mic. yes, in the right application the tele is gorgeous, but the thing about the GT67 is that it is not embarrassed by the tele. i have never found that the case w/ any of the chinese mics that i have tried, which tend to be rather 'hyped' in the midrange thru to the highs.
    here are a few reviews i culled from the net, re: GT67

http://www.proaudioreview.com/may03/groove_tubes.shtml
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr03/articles/groovetubes.asp
    http://www.audiomidi.com/classroom/proaudio/GToverview_ripes.cfm