tube newbie question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gravy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. gravy

gravy Member

finally been noticing/listening to different tubes and their sound imprint on amps. if i experiment with different brands or models which will give me the most notable sound contrast, power tubes or preamp tubes?

2. micjonga

micjonga Member

To my ears the Preamp tube makes the most difference for V1 depending on the amp at times. New tubes power tubes in an amp that you have never heard new power tubes in will make a big difference. As well, I have heard some small changes in sound with different power tubes but not as dramatic as V1.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Best bang for buck tube to swap, in my experience, is the phase-inverter (if your amp has one). Of course the rectifier tube greatly influences the power section (again, if your amp has one). And preamp tubes are also highly influential (some more than others, depending on how you run your amp). And every sound goes through the power tubes.

I'd recommend you experiment, in the sequence stated above :YinYang

- T

p.s. try different speaker cabs, if you've got 'em...

4. essguitarman

essguitarman Member

Just be carful changing tubes as when you change types of power tubes, you may have to re-bias your amp. Otherwise, just experiment with different types.

5. gravy

gravy Member

thanks guys, actually it`s an old supro bigstar i`ve been playing. just got another one off the emp. for a back up that had an old rca blackplate 5U4GB and jeez the tone is way warmer, more extended frequency and the trem is mass deep. my original one has an electro harmonix tube in there, i could really hear the difference!