Tube Option for Reverb (Twin Reverb)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stevel, Apr 8, 2015.

1. stevel

stevel Member

Will using a different tube (or tubes) for the Reverb make a difference in the way the reverb sounds in a Twin Reverb.

If so, will it also affect the general tone?

Additionally, if different tubes create different reverb characteristics, are there any predictable changes.

I think I've read you use something like an AT or AU or something instead of an AX (or whatever it is) to make the reverb onset different. For example, right now my reverb is basically off until I get to right before 2 on the dial, and after about 2.5 I'm firmly in surf territory.

It would be nice to have a "wider spread" - so say what happens from 2 to 2.5 now goes from say 1 to 5 or so instead.

I don't have a problem with the tone or the depth of the reverb per se but I've heard Deluxe Reverbs with a "swimmier" (surfier - more like the 63 stand alone tanks) verb - would any tube swaps help?

Also, I was using verb on the amp, and boosting the volume into the amp (which on a TR just gets louder). When I had this louder volume going into the amp (from an output knob on a pedal board let's say) it seemed to "smack" the reverb in way that I found unpleasant. So again I'm wondering if any tube swaps could help, pardon the pun, rectify that.

Finally, I might ultimately consider swapping out the reverb tank if that could make a difference. But I guess what I want to know is if stock tanks are generally hit and miss - you may get an awesome sounding on, or you may not - or if they all do pretty much sound the same (within a reasonable range).

I'm sure there are manufacturers out there who make replacement tanks.

But I guess if the tube plays a bigger role in the overall - response - that's the word I'm looking for - the response of the verb, that would be the obvious place to start.

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Do yourself a favor and get an RCA Long Plate 12AU7. I have some black plates and some clear tops and they are killer. Far more rich sounding than other tubes. I got them for $10 each, I have probably 15 of them. I have some GE black plate 12AU7's too - they sound good, but not as deep and natural.

3. zenas

zenas Member

I run organ pull 12au7s for reverb drivers. Pickup a few free organs and the 12AU7s pile up.

I can't tell the diffierence between the Hammond, Conn, Baldwin or whatever they all sound the same to me.

4. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Maybe there's a reason Leo used 12AT7 for decades, don't you think? ;)

Fact is they have an adequate balance between output current and ease of drive.

12AX are more sensible but have less current capability, so they are a poor choice.

12AU have far higher current capability and in a circuit designed for them they will do very well; plugging then in a circuit meant for 12AT they will work poorly, both because their current capability is not properly exploited (you are not changing the drive transformer) and biasing is horrible.

And anyway, sound is more in the project itself than in "parts".

5. zenas

zenas Member

Well they work fine on this side of the eqautor. :)

6. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

I HAD the exact same problem with my Super Reverb until I posted the same question. The surf was too much, but I love the lushness. Mike from KCA NOS suggested a raytheon 12au7 and it made a HUGE difference. Now there is actually a usable range. I would start with a tube change, as that did it for me.

7. stevel

stevel Member

So this would be V3, correct?

8. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

A Mullard CV 4024 or an RCA 12AT7 sounds great in V3.

9. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Yeah, a 12au7 for the 12at7. Made a huge difference. I love my super, that surfy reverb was its achilles heel. The tube change made a dramatic difference. Do it.

10. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

11. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

if the reverb comes on too strong , too fast, put a tapered pot on the reverb. That will help to dial in reverb more evenly and slowly.

12. Roe

Roe Member

+ 1 on this (and v6 as well)

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

A tube will make a difference... but not so much in control. Fender reverbs are famous for being off at 2 and sound full on at 3.5. There is a mod you can do to replace the pot with a lower value and add a resistor... ( I think I've got that right) This gives you the reverb range that is normally 0-5 but spreads it over 0-10 giving you more control.

14. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Also check out the 5965 tube.

It's an industrial type similar to a 12AV7. It's a lower gain factor than a 12AT7, but not nearly as low as a 12AU7.