Tube PA head as a home stereo amplifier?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TenThumbs, Dec 23, 2009.

1. TenThumbs

TenThumbs Member

Is this possible? Might be able to pick up a Traynor YVM-1 and wondered if I could plug in a turntable, hook up some speakers and make a good sounding tube home stereo?

I know very little about PA systems (or amps in general) so I have no idea if this thought has merrit or is simply a neophyte asking a silly question.

Thanks

2. aeolian

aeolian Member

It could be done if the YVM is stereo. You will need a phono preamp. While the mic inputs probably have enough gain, there is an equalization curve unique to records that won't be in a PA head. At that point, you would need a couple of line level inputs.

Guitar amp tone circuits won't go flat, but the PA may have some decent cut/boost controls.

Traynors tended to have good transformers and probably would sound decent but won't be high resolution.

edit, just looked up the amp and it is a mono head with four inputs. So, you are not going to get stereo out of it regardless of how many inputs you use or speakers you connect. But that wouldn't stop you from listening to music though it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  3. Roadeye

Roadeye Member

Buy the real Mac. A McIntosh Stereo Power Amp! [​IMG]

4. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Member

Guitar amps are insanely midrangey compared to an actual home stereo. If you try it out you'll see what I mean.

5. aeolian

aeolian Member

That's because most guitar amps have passive cut tone stacks. And there is never a flat setting since the R/C is always there, even when the 250K pot is all the way over.

Hi-fi amps have boost/cut tone circuits. The most common being the Baxandall.

Now, the RIAA phono equalization is a fairly simple treble rolloff, bass boost. It may be possible to modify the tone stack to end up fairly close. But that is an electrical engineering task and outside the scope of the OP who is asking very basic questions.

So, there will be sound. Will it be good? Depends on the taste of the listener. Will it be accurate or high fidelity? Not likely.

6. EXPcustom

EXPcustom Member

The Mesa Strategy 400 worked so well as a Home Stereo amp that Mesa released a version called The Baron with some extra features for Home Stereo users.

7. aeolian

aeolian Member

The Baron was cleaned up quite a bit by a degreed EE friend of mine. There was a lot more tolerance analysis and design stabilization than just adding a couple of features.

He brought it over to my house once and so fell in love with the sound though my MGIII speakers, he bought a pair for himself. He originally thought a lot of the mode switching was overkill, but though the Maggies we both agreed that one pair in triode and two pairs in pentode sounded best. The extra sweetness of more triodes wasn't made up for with the loss of impact and bottom end control.