Tube Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by melody maker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. melody maker

melody maker Member

Enlighten me on these new tube-driven pedals. I use a digitech rp 50 and like it. The guys in the band hate it, they say its too thin/digital sounding, and I should try one of the tube over-drives. My style is kind of bluesy, playing mostly Gibsons through a '81 fender deluxe. Of course guitar center didn't have any tube overdrives to try out, but I liked the Marshall gov'nr and ibanez tube screamer. I also have tech 21 comp-torion, but I never really liked it...too muffled sounding.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Zero

Zero Member

They're mostly BS. Stick a tube in it, people will buy it. I think the Tonebone Hot-British (for example) sounds great but it could be done without the tube.

3. bynt

bynt Member

I really dig the Duncan Twin tube. It sounds like tubes. Not a huge amount of gain on the first channel but it sure sounds good. To my ear it's just different than a stomp box. They also just released one for metal but I haven't played that one. Just thicker than even my Fulltones (which I love, just different applications).

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

SIB Varidrive gets a fair amount of good press. I have not used one, however.

5. SatelliteNine

SatelliteNine Member

I agree with the others - I've tried both the TwinTube and Hot British, and they are cool, but again, nothing that couldn't be done without tubes. I remember reading about a pre-amp shootout a while back, and because much of the mojo we love is in power tubes, many guys couldn't pick a favorite between tube or solid state preamps (ie pedals), or if they did, they were surprised. Obviously it's completely subjective and most likely someone else here can post the exact opposite experience.

6. fly135

fly135 Member

I have a tube based Nady TD-1 and it works pretty good for me. I also like both the Rat2 and the Big Muff (I have the russian one), but they aren't tube based.

7. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Get yourself a good fuzz pedal that cleans up with the volume knob. My suggestion is the Monsterpiece Classic.

Another good cheap drive is the Bad Monkey. If you want to spend a bit more cash, I would suggest any good Tube Screamer clone. Ideally it would be true bypass to preserve your original tone.

dk

8. chuck

chuck Member

I use a Scrotum Smasher.
    I doubt its anything you'll want to mess with though.
    Unless you like Manson and NIN.