Tube power question

Patrick620

I'm not sure if I am asking this question properly. In comparing a 6l6 to a 6l6gc, I know that the GC will handle more voltage but does it also require/draw more current or voltage? The situation is this. I have a PT in an amp that may not be quite up to the task of running at high enough voltages for the GC and it runs a bit warm. Would the PT be "happier" if I ran straight 6L6 tubes or will it make a difference?

donnyjaguar

It won't make a difference. What will make a difference is to bias the tubes colder. I would also look at the entire circuit and see if you can free up some power dissipation elsewhere. For instance, some power supplies have resistors across the primary filter capacitors. Getting rid of these will free up some power.

Patrick620

Thanks, DJ. Yes, it does have a resistor across the power filters. Thats the kind of answer I was looking for. As far as biasing the tubes colder, there is no adjustment so I will research what changes, if any, I can make to the circuit to accomplish this. I am just now really starting to get into doing more than just being a "parts changer". I have a ways to go but I am getting there.

Trending Topics