1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

tube preamp for direct guitar???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Kaiser, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I want to record direct in my home studio (read: apartment), is there a good tube preamp for guitar/bass??

Here's what I'm thinking,
    guitar => pedalboard => tube preamp => pod => recorder(PC)

Will this work??

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Are you talking about guitar preamp, or mic preamp?

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Randall RM4

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

I'm talking about a instrument preamp not mic input preamp, I don't know if this is correct, check out my signal chain to get a better idea of what I have in mind.

Thanks for the options posted here, I'll check'em out.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i've tracked TONS of clean guitar parts w/ my strat and a Demeter Tube DI. doesnt get any better.

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

How about a GT Brick? I know it's not a tube guitar pre, but you're really not going to get much benefit from using a tube guitar pre to record direct unless it has direct outs and you'd use the same pre with a power amp for live performances.

I'd go with better front end instead of wasting money on a tube guitar pre if your only use would be for recording.

8. neve1073

neve1073 Member

In my opinion, I don't think this signal chain you are thinking of is a very good idea. If I were in your situation, I would be thinking instead about getting a good dual channel mic pre amp to run your pod thru (with a dual pre you could run in stereo if you want) as well as maybe some kind of coloring outboard racks like a distressor, fatso or neve tape emulator. That should fatten up your pod signal.

good luck

9. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Neve 1073 is right, though what he is talking about is a bit on the pricy side. If you want to record with a POD, the idea is to run the guitar into it, and then run the POD into a tube direct box (assuming that tubes are what you want for coloration of the signal).

There are any number of high quality tube direct boxes out there, ranging from the relatively transparent Demeter Tube Direct to the more colored GT products, and so on. The Avalon U5 is a great box, but it is solid state (Class A), and is pretty transparent. A high quality direct box with tubes will run you in the $500 range.

Another option is to run the Pod (or the guitar) into something like the Mesa direct recording box which you can use clean, or to add distortion, etc.

10. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Yes it will... well kinda.

Here's my chain and IMO, it works great!

Guitar > Amp > THD Hotplate (load) > Line Out of the Hotplate > PODxt (amp sim OFF, studio mode ON) > Mbox.

Judge for yourself:

www.theloungechair.com/music/Traffic.mp3 (full composition)
    www.theloungechair.com/music/Diezel.mp3
    www.theloungechair.com/music/Einstein2.mp3
    www.theloungechair.com/music/Autumn.mp3 (full composition)
    www.theloungechair.com/music/song4clip.mp3
    http://www.tonefreak.com/MP3/CH2ThickRhytm1.mp3
    http://www.tonefreak.com/MP3/CH2ThickRhytm2.mp3

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

All he needs is the Hotplate, and the signal chain he descibes will work fine. There a lot of guys that I've turned this on to... and they are stunned with the results.

What you're describing costs a lot of money and it's not necessary IMO.

12. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Again, all he needs is the HotPlate. I've run a Germino Masonette, Fuchs Luck 7, Aiken Invader, and my Diezel Einstein using this very method... and the comments I get were... 'Hey, what cabinet and speaker are you using?' No one has ever questioned that I wasn't using a real speaker cab.

13. retro

retro Member

I have had great results driving a cheap tube mic pre with a modeler:

Guitar>J-Station>Old style Presonus Bluetube Pre>Interface.

I've since sold the J-Station, but, I am in fact thinking of getting another J-Station since I liked the results so much.

14. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Tonefreak, I've never tried what you described. I'll listen to some clips of your tone when i get a chance.

What I described is expensive, if you do everything i described (good quality dual pre, distressors or neve tape emulator); but a good mic pre isn't that expensive and in my opinion is the missing link from the signal chain he was talking about.

The expensive racks to add color and harmonic distortion are just expensive gravy that he probably doesn't need for doing demos at home, it's true. I was being extravagant spending other people's money. ;)

I have a pod at home for late night apartment recording. It sounds pretty great, considering what it is, when I run it thru a good mic pre. I will usually redo the guitar parts later with real amps, but not always. I have a song coming out on a cd in march/april where i left a pod track in there because it sat well in the mix. (It sits in the mix with a couple of vintage amps tho.)

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

this is what I was thinking of, except that in December I sold my amp in order to get another but haven't decided which one so I thought of the POD. (currently considering THD's BiValve)

What I currently have is a few guitars (Gibson SG, Epi Sheraton II and a strat clone), my pedalboard (which I'd like to use) and a 4 track (upgraded to digital rec recently with M-audio) , POD on it's way and saving for amp, I don't have a Hot Plate, so How can I make this work??
    Maybe going guitar=>POD=>tube DI=>PC recorder ???
    Will I be able to use my pedalboard with the POD??
    is there a tube DI less expensive than the ones mentioned before??
    will the tube DI get me the warmth lacking in the POD settings??

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

quote:
    will the tube DI get me the warmth lacking in the POD settings??

I meant the digitally sounding signal from the POD

17. retro

retro Member

Kaiser,

I can't speak for the Pod but for me an inexpensive tube mic pre made the J-Station quite amp like to my ears. Especially overdriven.

It is not a great mic/vocal tube pre for sure. Will add noise. (But so does an amp).

However lacking in its mic/vocal sonic ability, worked inversely well for guitar in the Hi-Z input.

It really depends on you budget, what you are trying to do musically and may find acceptable sonically.

For me I liked it enough that I would like to go back to using it again to record with because I don't get the same tones and color using my amp.

If it's helpful this is what I used. Although no longer made, Presonus has newer versions to give you an idea of what I found worked well and IMO is a viable solution for recording in an apartment setting.

http://www.presonus.com/bluetube.html

18. ricoh

ricoh Member

I have had good results with a Pod into a GT Brick or the lowly Art Tube pre.

Rico

19. Suriel Zayas

Suriel Zayas Member

20. ricoh

ricoh Member

Yes..............I would bet that you could not tell I used a Pod and an inexpensive tube pre on the recordings that I have used it on. It is perfect for what you need it for.

Pod 2.0 and Art tube pres are cheap used. Purists will have there doubts but I sometimes go directly to the Pod for certain sounds. Basically you just dial up the sound you want. The high gain sounds are really good because the noise gate is very effective. I have one recording where the guitar sounds like it was recorded through a thumping 4-12 cab and a screaming high gain amp........all through the Pod and Art pre. I wish i could post them but I haven't a clue how to. They are on DAT

Rico