Tube primer

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Peter C, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Peter C

Peter C Member

Is there a tube manufacturer primer out there somewhere?

My father-in-law is a antiques dealer, dealing mostly with firearms and native american items. He travels around the country looking for different stuff, and is always interested in finding stuff for his daughters and their husbands (he enjoys the hunt and loves getting a good deal)

When I saw him last, I mentioned that if he should see any tubes to go ahead and pick them up. Well, he's back from his latest trek and says he's got a bunch of different tubes (he thinks I'm crazy for wanting this stuff, but he's happy enough to go searching for them). I'm picking them up today, but I have a feeling I won't know what I have, especailly due to the different branding of tubes by companies using the same manufacturer.

Is there a place I can go to (or a book I can get) that outlines tubes, specific markings by different manufacturers, etc?

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Offhand , just looking at what Antique Electronic Supply has in the way of books , I'd guess ELECTRON TUBE LOCATOR By George H. Fathauer would help you the most . Somebody else may have a better recommendation , but that one looks like it would just about cover 'em . Thing to do after you get 'em is browse around the web and see what they're selling for if at all . Mike at KCANOS Tubes is somebody to email with a list to check on 'em for you . And all this is assuming they're not toast . ;)

3. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

For simple identification of tubes (what does it do and what are its ratings) the RCA Receiving Tube Manual RC-30 is pretty handy.

4. saros141

saros141 Guest

...and for getting an idea of what stuff is worth, check out tubeworld . Keep in mind only dealers like him can actually get these prices... but it gives you an idea of what tube types, and which brands/vintages of each tube type are most highly coveted.

5. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Bingo . I had a box o ' various types and did the same thing awhile back , unless it's a hot item/rare bird count on around 30% of " list " . :rolleyes: