Tube Pushin' Boost Pedal Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lockjawpony, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

I play a single coil strat through a Blackheart Little Giant 5w amp that sounds great. When cranked up loud it starts to get a nice tube breakup going. What I'm looking for is a boost pedal that will smack the amp even harder and get some real growly, heavier tube distortion from the amp.

I'm tired of buying a ton of overdrive and distortion pedals hoping to find a sound I like then realizing that the sound of the amp by itself is better.

I've looked into the tubescreamer type family, but they seem to cut the lows too much.

I don't want anything that will color the sound too much, so something somewhat transparent would be nice. And I don't want a pedal that is noisy because there is already too much noise coming from my single coils as it is.

Any suggestions?

2. meowmers

meowmers Member

Zvex Super Hard On Boost
    Analogman Beano Boost
    Lovepedal Kalamazoo
    Klon and Klones

You can't have a boost without having added noise but great builders design stuff that has minimized noise

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I always see this, 'I want transparent" but simple fact is when you hit your preamp harder you change the the harmonic structure of your amps OD, no way around it.

Secret is focusing your boost as cleanly as possible, no clipping circuits and with the most useful tone sculpting as possible.

In essence, this.
    [​IMG]

Sweep that parametric with a narrow/semi narrow Q till you find your amps/setups secret freq, every setup has one, it might be 645hz, maybe 927hz, you'll know it when you hit it, boost it some then sculpt the overall boost, bass and treble around it, 90% of time bass you will be cutting, treble can vary by amp and speaker and style of music. Then when you find that parametric freq you then narrow or widen slope around it with Q control till it fills in but doesn't over do that band. As you increase Q (width) you'll probably bring parametric boost down a hair.

Usually when you find that freq that works with your amp, harmonic undertones and overtones will naturally bloom, then you use bass and treble to pull them back. If your amp/speaker is darker, treble may vary but bass almost always will be cut. You'll even find as you change rooms/gigs/amp position that parametric "secret freq" may shift a bit.

4. tuj

tuj Member

5. rck

rck Supporting Member

Creation Audio Labs mk 4.23, which they advertise as "the most transparent clean boost on the market". I love mine.

Though DaveKS has intriqued me to give the the RocketEQ a try also, looks like a very useful addition to alot of rigs.

6. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Lizard Leg Flying Dragon

...or a Timmy.

7. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bearfoot Red Rooster Booster!!
    ...or Baby Pink Booster if you want a buffer.

8. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

earthquaker devices black eye. pretty much all boost, not a lot of eq change or gain added (though there is an internal gain control you can tweak to where you want).

on the cheap - try out an EHX LPB-1. it will color the tone some, but most people agree it's in a good way (ymmv, as always).