TUBE Questions for the experienced !!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jmanns, Mar 1, 2012.

1. jmanns

jmanns Member

I'm never happy with what I have, I always want to tinker with my sound.:nuts
    So What I'm looking for is, Is there any Diagram or Chart on what tubes do what? What sounds they may create?:confused:

And if theres the same for speakers, What speakers are darker and brighter than each other?

I like my sound kinda, "BUT" It needs tweaked here and there.

I love my fender sound,,,,But!:rimshot

Any ideas???

2. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

An amp's circuit is going to have the biggest impact on tone. Then speakers... then, depending on the circuit, tubes. Power tubes, anyway. Pre-amp tubes, again, depending on the circuit, may have more impact on the amp's tone than power tubes.

There are no hard and fast rules for which power tubes sound like "this tone" or "that tone." There was one Marshall amp that used 6v6's... at least one Orange amp, too... most would associate 6v6's with small Fenders, but, ahem, depending on the circuit, they might sound like a Marshall or an Orange.

3. jmanns

jmanns Member

OK lets say I have a Fender HotRod deluxe. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they did or what is a good tube, speaker combo that work best. Or just leave it stock?

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

Sounds like you need to play through a bunch of amps and cabs so you can get to know the characteristics. In general, to me, el 34 and el 84 have a more forward upper midrange that I call the British sound. 6l6's and 6v6's have the more lower midrange that gives what I call the American sound. This is only a generality as the Orange R50 uses 6v6's and sounds very British.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. Luke V

Luke V Member

HR Deluxe to me is only good as a pedal platform. The cleans are nice but the overdrive does not sound natural at all.

6. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

That's because the overdrive channel is solid state...it's like turning on a pedal. You're not hearing tube distortion.

7. jmanns

jmanns Member

Yeah,, I only use the clean side and use my pedals to dirty it up.
    Which I think it takes pedals really well. at least to my ears.

I'm just thinking you need a good base sound, then pedals can compliment them..

Just was wondering if there was anyone that had done any mods to one to make it better to them.?

8. glennscottharris

glennscottharris Member

There are mods for that amp but I don't know what they do, really. If you're just using the clean channel then try springing for some nicer tubes: http://www.kcanostubes.com/... and maybe a different speaker.

I can't imagine that the HR Deluxe would be something worth fiddlin with a whole lot, unless you just wanted to use it as a learning platform.
    I'd save my money for a new amp.

9. glennscottharris

glennscottharris Member

I run a little Ampeg combo that with a similar tube setup. Different tubes definitely changed its sound. I don't have any experience with NOS stuff but here's what I thought about the stuff I burned through in the last 3 years:

6L6:
    JJ Tesla- Sound ok. Cleanish, maybe a little trebly and burn out quick.
    Ruby - Suck

I had to buy some GrooveTubes at GC when I was in a bind once. They were labeled as "medium". I think they turned out to be Sovtek. They ended up sounding really warm. Broke up a little earlier than I was used to but I ended up liking that better. They lasted longer than the others.

I love my little ampeg so I'm gonna get me some JANs next chance I get.

Haven't had a chance to experiment with preamp tubes yet.

10. Avatar Tech

The HRD is a dog, IMO. Mainly because is OD sucks as mentioned earlier, but the switching circuit is just waiting to fail.
    That said, I do like the clean tones and I think a speaker upgrade could be a big tonal improvement. Eminance has a lot of info that helps you select a speaker.

11. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

It took a long time for me to understand how to maximize tube tone. I came out of the 80's with a love for a dirt pedal stuck in front of a good solid state amp. So there was definately a long way to go.

After playing 6L6 tube amps for about 7 years, I finally decided to try an 50W EL34 based amp, and there it was for me - sweet harmonics, compression, sustain, and just enough OD to sound like a rock star.

The reason it took so long is because 50 or 100W amps, and 100db speakers are not your friend, unless you like blowing up apartment buildings or large houses. 18W 2xEL84 amps also sound great, but even still maybe too loud for the average home practice or reheasal setting.

95db speakers better, and attenuators are a must-have. The lower the wattage, the lower the speaker efficiency (or the more attenuation you can apply) the more the power tube does its thing, and when it does, you'll find that you stepped into a whole new world of tone. Run a clean preamp into an overdriven power tube, and you get TONE, TONE, TONE.

In general, 6L6's have lots of clean, uncompressed headroom and breakup with a bit of sizzle. I think country spank and clean headroom for heavy metal preamp distortion work best with 6L6's. EL34's give a nice juicy compression thus lots of sustain and ethereal upper mid overdrive harmonics. I like these for blues and rock rhythms. While I don't own an EL84 amp, they sound too smooth. Never tried 6v6's but some say they have more of an EL34 character in half the wattage.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  12. jmanns

jmanns Member

sounds like I need to just experiment.And thats what I DO like to do...lol
    Thankx for all the suggestions and ideas.

13. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Leave it stock!

Save your money until you do the following:

That is good advice.
    :beer

14. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

This is the truth. Don't focus too much on the tubes themselves. Go to guitar center and play a whole bunch of different amps with the same guitar. Get a sense of how different amps sound and respond.

And the HRD clean channel is great. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

15. JEB3

JEB3 Member

Have you checked out this site? http://www.justinholton.com/hotrod/

Great source of information on everything hrdx.

I have run JJ brand 6v6 and el84 yellow jackets in my hrdx and enjoy both sounds. Each is unique and different from 6l6 sound.

16. Avatar Tech

The clean channel does sound good. It's the rest if the amp that makes me nervous. That switching circuit fails often :)