1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tube questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TLC, Oct 14, 2005.

1. TLC

TLC Guest

Need some input from the experts out there. I took my DC3 in to be serviced and will probably have to replace the el-84s. I told the tech I would probably replace them with JJ Tesla tubes. Since he's a die hard GT fanatic he looked at me like I had !*%# for brains and told they were cheap Japanese junk. I purchased my last set of preamp/power tubes from Mr. Pletka at Eurotubes and was under the impression that they were being made in the old Tesla factory and came highly recommended from other web sites I have visited. What gives?

2. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Too funny.

JJ are definitely of European origin.

It is the Groove Tube that is much more likely to be of Chinese manufacture.

3. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Did you really say "JJ Tesla" ? If so and he didn't react he doesn't know his tubes. It's JJ-Electronic, not Tesla, they're made in Slovakia not Japan. You don't have to know this but the tech should. He's not even close. Yes, it's the old Tesla crew running the factory and development, they're also wise enough to have hired young engineers and are training them before the old gurus retire for good. That should secure continuity. No, i don't have any personal interest in promoting JJ. Just telling what i know from horse's mouth.

GT's are repainted Sovteks, he didn't tell you that , did he now ? I've had several amps in for service with failed factory fitted GTs, replaced them with JJs, no failures so far and no complaints about the sound, quite the contrary.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

...NOS Matsushita EL84 are cool! Made by the Matsushita Electric Corp. (a.k.a "Panasonic") under the guidance of Mullard engineers, with Philips tooling. Some nice Japanese "junk" tubes that I'd prefer over Groove Tubes EL84-S (which are made by JJ, fer kripes sake!), EL84-R (Russian) or EL84-Y (Ei).

Thanks VacuumVoodoo for distinguishing between "JJ" and "Tesla" - that one always bugs me. JJ is a solid "good" but Tesla is quite different.

- T

5. TLC

TLC Guest

GEESSUS, I get it already! I'm so sorry if offended anybody with my posting. Thanks for answering my questions about the JJ Electronics tubes, made by former employees of the Tesla factory in Slovakia, distributed by Bob Pletka through Eurotubes. (Let's make sure spell checks on.)

6. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

TLC, you didn't offend a soul.

I think the goal is to share enough knowledge so you can recognize the difference between a tech and a charlatan ;)

Quite a few of my customers come to me with stories about how a tech[*] has berated them for suggesting anything other than GT in their amps. And that's the interesting bit -- it never seems to be a suggestion, or a discussion of relative merits, always "you're an idiot if you use that other trash". I'm personally not a fan of GT, but then I also have the pull bin full of dead ones and let my customers do the A/B comparisons to decide for themselves. Your tech's response is my first clue to stay away.

[*] loosely defined here as someone who said they know how to fix a tube amp

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

No offense here, at all. And I hope I didn't come across too seriously. I guess I should slap one of thes :D on to show its all in good humor.

Vacuum tube lore involves lots of details and distinctions, especially if one is delving into the NOS world (which, I understand, you're not). You've got to start paying attention to manufacturer, and then things like getter type, plate construction, odd codes, etc. in order to be truly successful. The more educated you can become, in advance, the more you can tactfully navigate the uninformed/misinformed, such as your tech. I'm glad you asked here after you smelled something funky.

- T

8. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

If my post had a slight tone of indignation it was not caused by your question TLC, but by the "tech's" treatment of you.

9. TLC

TLC Guest

Thanks fellas. Think I'll dumped the tech and find someone a little more open minded. Too bad my choices are so limited. Your input is greatly appreciated!!
    TLC

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The funniest thing about all of this is that GT sells every third world tube under the sun INCLUDING JJs (not Tesla, being in the same building as Tesla in no way makes the quality of the product even remotely similar).

Your tech could use a little background in tubes.